World generation stalling at "Generating interest" no matter what.

thesnivy123
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I just got the game today- No DLC, just the base game, no mods either. When I try to make a new world, the loading is fine up until it says "generating interest", and then completely stops. It doesn't crash, it just... Won't continue loading the game, making it completely unplayable.

Specs are:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.20 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I am fairly sure these meet the requirements. I tried verifying files- It's the same issue no matter what I do.

Thanks in advance.

Steps to Reproduce

Buy game. Install game. Attempt to start a new save file. Wait through world generation loading screen. Loading stops at "Generating Interest".

User Feedback

Looks like your installation is missing at lest one file. In Steam right click the game -> Properties -> Installed Files -> Verify integrity of game files. This should download the missing files. If they are still missing your antivirus software might have incorrectly flagged the SimDLL files and removed them.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

Looks like your installation is missing at lest one file. In Steam right click the game -> Properties -> Installed Files -> Verify integrity of game files. This should download the missing files. If they are still missing your antivirus software might have incorrectly flagged the SimDLL files and removed them.

I validated files again, as well as telling my antivirus to ignore the ONI folder, and then validated a second time- It still has the same issue, and verify integrity didn't catch any missing files...

Share this comment

Does this file exist?

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded/OxygenNotIncluded_Data/Mono/SimDLL.dll

Share this comment

No, it doesn't... In fact, there is no Mono folder AT ALL, which is really weird- Only Managed, Plugins, Resources and StreamingAssets,

I don't know how verify integrity could have missed an entire missing folder... How should I fix this?

Edit: I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and see if that helps...

update to my previous edit: uninstalled and reinstalled. still does not work. still missing the entire mono folder. Will I have to put that in manually?

Edited by thesnivy123

Share this comment

The issue is from Steam downloading the game, you could try their troubleshooting guide here. Also check your controlled folder access settings. It's strange that verifying files didn't fix the issue.

When you uninstall the game go to the steamapps/common folder and make sure the OxygenNotIncluded folder is actually deleted before reinstalling.

Share this comment

Just tried everything you said. The folder deletes correctly, the game has full access to my folders, everything. It's still having the same issue...

I'm not an expert on how this stuff works, but if it's at all possible- Do you think it would work to manually insert the Mono folder (and it's contents) into where it should be? It's the only idea I have on how to fix this, considering the problem seems to stem just from that missing folder...

Also, if it helps, this is the particular spot the world generation gets stuck on. It can go through the first second or so of this stage of loading, but it always, without fail, stops moving on that particular spot in the loading bar, down to the pixel.

Capture.PNG

Share this comment

The missing file is the simulation, which is used in later steps of worldgen. I just realized the path to the SimDLL is wrong, the game should be trying to load the file in OxygenNotIncluded_Data\Plugins\x86_64 and not the mono folder. Does the SimDLL.dll file exist in that folder?

Try installing this file: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Share this comment

The file does exist in that folder, yeah. That file won't let me download it- It says I already have a copy of the program (which I probably do- I was modding another game a while back, and got that app), but my computer won't let me open the add/remove programs part of settings to get rid of the old version.

What's that C++ file supposed to be? I have the program already, I just can't open that link through the downloader you gave me.

edit: to clarify, because my phrasing may have been weird there: I already have the C++ editor. It won't let me open what you sent, because I already have the editor, and an (entirely unrelated to this) glitch in my computer means I can't uninstall that program. I can totally open that file, I just need it in a form that won't prompt me to install the C++ editor (which I have).

Share this comment

Hm. While I do that, I just need to know- What's the name of "the simulation" file that you mentioned was missing, and what folder should it be in? If this doesn't work, I could try getting a copy of that file from a friend who also plays the game.

Thank you so much for trying to help here- I'm absolutely baffled as to why verifying or reinstalling won't work, but if a missing file really is the culprit, then it should work to get it from someone with a functioning game...

Share this comment

My initial assessment was incorrect, I was looking at the fallback path in your Player.log and assuming that was the correct location of the file. You have the correct file in the correct location, it's OxygenNotIncluded_Data\Plugins\x86_64\SimDLL.dll. This file is handles the simulation of the game and there's no need to move it.

Share this comment

The working theory here at the moment is there is an incompatible version of the crt library on your machine which causes the simdll to fail to load, when the game fails to load the sim library a fallback is executed trying to load the simdll from other locations as indicated in the log. The vcredist installer provided by Eric installs a number of common microsoft development libraries including a version of the windows c runtime library (crt) required by ONI. This may not be the source of the issue but is a candidate, and would be worth checking.

You mentioned already having a c++ editor installed, assuming you are referring to visual studio / visuals studio code /w a c++ plugin, the install/configuration step of that editor would be my suspect for why a different version of the windows development libraries would be active than required by ONI (which the steam installer should have installed during initial installation of our game).

Uninstalling and reinstalling ONI might also be worth trying as a way to get steam to try and update the pre-requisite libraries on your system, if that is indeed the source of the issue.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I've managed to get the game working on two other computers, and made a world. Unfortunately, when loading the save files on the affected computer, it crashes immediately. Attached is the playerlog.

I've tried reinstalling, verifying files, and even managed to delete the C++ editor, then reinstalled ONI and re-verified files. It's still broken. Now that I've got an actual crash, though, I've hit the "Report crash" button, and got a screenshot of the error log. Does this help at all?

I would just continue to play on the working devices, but, unfortunately, the glitched device is the only one I have access to most of the time.

(P.S.: Now that I've actually got a chance to play the game, I can say that it is VERY fun. Can't wait to be able to play it even more once it's working, hah!)

Capture.PNG

Player.log

Share this comment

Update on this crash- I have discovered that, as far as I can tell, ALL klei games stopped working in the exact same way. Don't Starve Together is experiencing the same issue, where it functions normally until I try to either create or join a world, and then breaks. I don't have the slightest clue what's going on, because DST used to work fine on this computer... It's a lead, though.

Whatever's breaking ONI is more of an "all klei games don't work" issue.

Share this comment

I suspect other applications and games might also have problems on your system and it's not limited to Klei games. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

Share this comment