Using Turbulence in biome noise file crashes

Heinermann
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

The Turbulence node in biome noise files does not work and will crash the game.

I discovered the reason was due to faulty code in ONI. In ProcGen.Noise.Transformer.CreateModule(), it has logic for Turbulence but is missing a return statement (and instead falls back to returning a Displace transformer). This then fails with a NullReferenceException because it tries to cast the erroneous Displace to a Turbulence instance (because the transformerType is Turbulence).

Attached files:

• Crash log
  • The biome noise file I was testing
  • Image showing the biome noise graph

1090447036_2020-10-0903_18_20-Window.thumb.png.8ce18134a29e122b8ec3b2ed27c00cde.png

EDIT: For anyone running into this, the Displace node acts similar to Turbulence, and I was able to switch it out for my use case.

output_log.txt DarkCave.yaml

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Replace any biome noise file with DarkCave.yaml.
  2. Create a new asteroid with that biome.
  3. Freeze on loading screen.

DarkCave.yaml

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Changed Status to Fixed

Just wanted to mention this has been fixed in Spaced Out. It will be fixed in the base game when we finish merging the codebase. Note that there was also a bug in the version of libnoise-dotnet we are using in Select.cs, only one of the two input modules were hooked up.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment