Unsatiable hydroponic farm

Raptor75
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

Ever since build 219784, the first 1-2 hydroponic farms in a line swallow polluted water at upwards of 10 kg/s while the rest of the farms in the line get none and say "empty pipe".

Insatiable hydroponic farm.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Unknown, but the save file is attached. The problem is persistent.

User Feedback

Each pipe has a throughput of 10 kg/s. Each farm tile consumes 5 kg/s.
Clearly a pipe layout redesign is required.

Edit: However, you do have an unrelated problem. You have way too many inputs trying to feed the farm tiles. Cut off the pipe between the valves to the right so you can let the water flow in.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

On 2017-06-19 at 1:09 AM, Risu said:

Each pipe has a throughput of 10 kg/s. Each farm tile consumes 5 kg/s.
Clearly a pipe layout redesign is required.

That would mean you would need one pump and dedicated pipe for every two farms. According to the information in the game, it's actually the crops that have a specified liquid consumption. Mealwood is specified to use 40 kg/cycle which I believe is 0.067 kg/s.

On 2017-06-19 at 1:09 AM, Risu said:

Edit: However, you do have an unrelated problem. You have way too many inputs trying to feed the farm tiles. Cut off the pipe between the valves to the right so you can let the water flow in.

It seems you're on to something here. The problem goes away if I cut off the pipe to the liquid filter at the bottom and remove the pipe bridge near it that leads to the pump on the far left. That doesn't mean it's not a symptom of one or more bugs though.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Raptor75 said:

That would mean you would need one pump and dedicated pipe for every two farms. According to the information in the game, it's actually the crops that have a specified liquid consumption. Mealwood is specified to use 40 kg/cycle which I believe is 0.067 kg/s.

It depends on how much water is stored in the farm tile. If you built them all at once then it'd take a while for all the water to propagate. The problem being shown off here is the first farm tile consuming a tiny bit of water and the pumps from the other side of the farm row taking the water being sent to the second farm tile and reversing the flow to give to the first farm tile. This repeats ad infinitum.

Share this comment

I can also confirm this behavior.  I have a set of hydroponic farms setup for Mealwood, and a polluted water input with separate pipes going to each of the 10 hydroponic farms.  I have a dedicated liquid pump with alot of polluted water in a reservoir and it pumps out at 10kg/s, it is able to fill up all 10 hydroponic farms but it gets to capacity in each farm 5k, and each farm is showing the burn rate on fertilizer and irrigation (slow ticking down), but the polluted water keeps being pumped at 10kg/s at source.  I even thought that maybe there wasn't much flow even though the pipes showed movement, so I shut the pump off and the entire pipe system drained into the farms very quickly... the pipe system upstream was about 40 tiles, so that's about 400kg worth of polluted water that continued to flow into 10 hydroponic farms even after they were all confirmed full at 5kg.    This also occurred much more quickly than a full growth cycle, so you would expect mealwood to eat 400kg  = 40 kg/cycle * 10 farms for the whole cycle.  

I am happy to attach my save if the devs need it but not at my gaming computer at the moment.

Share this comment