Tame (Molten) Slickster Critter Starvation

riwenna
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I think there is something wrong with the Molten Slickster eating frequency or calorie consumption when tame (maybe in combination with the grooming buff duration or interruptions to "feeding" frequency caused by grooming - it seems like they will postpone "feeding" while being groomed).

As Slicksters reach their middle and then old age (~70+ cycles), they start "starving" in a room full of CO2 (2kg/tile pressure with a constant supply) at a comfortable temperature (currently 112*C). The reason I say "starving" is that they don't die: they seem to lose just a tiny bit more calories between two "feeding" instances than they gain when "feeding".

From an early age, they are constantly "hungry". When they hit middle age (~70 cycles), their calorie counter hits zero, and I get a starvation warning, lasting only for a second, as they "feed" immediately afterwards. From this age onwards, I get constant tiny "critter starvation" blips, as they deplete all their calories every time before "feeding" more.

It only lasts for a moment, and I have not measured the extent of the effect on their reproduction rate, but this effectively lowers their reproduction speed due to their reproduction rate dropping to 2% with the "starving" debuff (which makes them "glum"). Constant popping and dissapearing warnings are also somewhat distracting. Not sure if there is an effect on the CO2 consumed per cycle.

Also not sure if regular Slicksters have the same problem, as I've only ranched the Molten ones.

Finally, try as I might following the instructions below, I could not find the log file anywhere. In fact, I hit "search" through the entire ONI folder in SteamApps as well as the whole ONI folder in \Documents\Klei, and the file called "ouput_log.txt" (or anything containing "log" or "output" for that matter) simply does not exist.

Noticed it first two days ago (with the hotfix/update?), then yesterday it seemed like it got better (but maybe all of the old starving slicksters just died off?) and today it's happening again.

Slickster Criter Starve.sav

Steps to Reproduce
In the attached save file, at lesat 1 slickster (right ranch, age 73, cute golden earing) has reached this state and will hit "starvation" at least twice in the current cycle. Slickster farm is at the top-right corner of the base. Please ignore any starvation warnings coming off Pokeshells, the excess of which is killed by starvation by design.

User Feedback

Playing completely and utterly unmodded.

My best guess is that they have some minimum "delay" between two feeding intervals (and there is definetely a time it takes then to "digest" CO2 and turn it to petrol, and after they feed they will not feed again until they expel their waste). I think this is what delays them from coming to the grooming station sometimes when the rancher is calling them. But also, reversely, if they start getting groomed, they will not feed again until the grooming is finished... and since there's a minimum delay between two feeding instances, once the grooming delays their feeding schedule, they never catch up again.

Share this comment

happens to me as well... the solution i came up with.... play at 1x speed D:::: however frustrating that sounds and well, not really a solution especially at late game when you're building big projects! in fact at late game the same happens to almost all critters (most of my critters are glum and many are starving when i play at 3x speed (noting that i have 12 ranchers and 24 ranches each with 8 critters so my ranchers are plenty, no long commutes as well) hoping the devs resolve this issue so we can play at SUPER SPEEEED without starving the poor poor critters :(

Share this comment