Starting base template not working, can't start a new game

YiinHikari
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Steam Known Issue

Hi, I made this post in other side so I copy it here:

---------------------------

Please help me with this, if this is the wrong place to post this please forgive me and say me where I should post it.

First, I have the oil beta active, but I have already played with it very well and nothing like this happens before, this started yesterday, after my game starting to say that I have a build more recent that what klei has released yet. Second, without the beta the game works fine, of course, but I just wanted to start a new world with the oil things and I can't, 2 days ago :(

To make this even easier I opted to just record a very short video. What I show is:

•     I open the game (you can see my build) and I start a new game
  •     I see the generating world screen just fine, as usual
  •     I used to select my favourite dupes but now I know I will not be able to play anyway, I just picked the default initial 3 persons
  •     Then the game crashes when I click embark

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-09-27 00-02-10-033.mp4

Edit:

(so you don't have to download it)

• So, I close the game (I needed to stop the video here a bit and restart the recording) and open the game again and click on the file saved, you can tell is the same I just created by the name of it.
  •     Then the bug happens: I don't have initial base, nor colony or portal or anything... so, as I have the debug mode activated I tryed something
  •     I unlocked the map and see that the rest of the world loaded fine, and I can tell, as I show in the video, that if I try to print the starting base template I can see the problem: somehow it doesn't work. More specifically, it printed it but instead of doing it correctly it deconstructed everything at the same time, so we can see the elements fall to the floor, even the starting food. Now while I write this I wonder if maybe I did something wrong with the debug mode? something I can disable and then I could play again? I know that you are not able to deconstruct the portal, even with debug mode so if it would be that kind of problem it still don't make sense that I don't have even portal
  •     In the end of the video I checked some geyser, because one time, only one (the first few times I experienced all this, yesterday I think), when I see for the rest of the world I saw that it was empty, I mean it had the biomes and water and all but not constructions (I am not 100% sure about this, I mean about the ruins, I don't remember), but especially not geysers, and I mean... I saw the neutrinum base of the geysers in place, but no geyser above, and I do am 100% sure about that because it called my attention so much that I remeber that, but I forgot to take pictures :o and I think I deleted that save or something because I can't find it... nor reproduce that exact same case of this bug.

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-09-27 00-03-26-576.mp4

Edit:

(so you don't have to download it)

So... as you can intuit, I am pretty new at posting in klei forums, and english is not my native language, but I am an open person and if you have the patient to read all this and can help me please tell me what else about information do you need to investigate this problem I would be very happy to provide you whatever txt file is needed.

A huge thanks in advance, to both the developers of klei, I love them in friendly way, and also to the great and warm comunity we have here because you guys are the half of the great meaning of klei, its player base. Whitout you, and me I guess, Klei couldn't be what it is. And I really apreciate that this exist ♥

P.S: here is what I suppose you may need:

DxDiag.txt

Lunar Cosmos.sav

Dreamland.sav

output_log.txt

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------

I decide to move it to a new post because now I have an idea about what is working wrong or not working at all, and I didn't see this topic, like this exactly, in any other place...

The case is, as I said before (I think) the problem is with new games I want to create (not with the generating indeed but with the starting area, portal, food, dupes and the rocks and oxylite around it) if I load a previous game I can play normally. So when I was trying to test something in a save I had I get an idea! I opened the debug mode and try to print the starting base template... and voilá! it doens't work! :D of course I am not happy because of this, because I still can't play new games :( but I am happy because now we know where the problem is: in my current version, don't know why, my template of the starting base just don't work. It spawns all the things but inmediately it deconstruct everything... well kind of, because in the video you can see that you never see the game actually "spawn" the buildings and dupes and all, just spawns all the materials for them at least, oxylite and food included, all of them allright aligned at the bottom  of the template grid. here, the pic:

20170927024740_1.thumb.jpg.5596d077699346b4c256df0bdfcdcb38.jpg

So... something get broken when this happens to me the first time? (the first time I started a new game that crashes after click on embark) or is something with my debug mode? I will try to plain uninstall all the entire game, maybe clean up all I can the files related to, and reinstall everything again, and see if that solve the problem

Edit2: here I found where that template is so here you have a copy startingBase.yaml

(I found it on D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\templates\bases )

Steps to Reproduce
In my case just creating a new game, with the oil beta active. To see the missing portal just entering the recently created game after reopening because it crashed and closes when you click on embark in the previous step.

User Feedback

I made it! it works now! I didn't have to unisntall everything fortunately, first I decide to run a integrity verification from steam in the local files and it fixed something small, then I tested again and yes, my template was working

20170927034134_1.thumb.jpg.2182028d77136e96a3cde3120a8e2c55.jpg

to

20170927034138_1.thumb.jpg.7a806425d869542965be6045ba1f6cd7.jpg

So! I started a brand new game and this time I picked the dupes I wanted, and yes!! it didn't crash and it worked fine!

20170927034606_1.thumb.jpg.e1597ff4baad05cae2289d469cf9ff1f.jpg

So now I will have hours of fun with my new game n_n and save the file before doing nothing just in case I want to restart using the same world in the future e_e...

I don't know what causes this, but I will let this here in case anyother user get the same problem. I can only tell in clean:

1. I started a new game as usual, with the build that ends in 93 (after the 23...777 build, I can search the number if necessary)

2. the game generated the world correctly and gave me the state of picking my dupes and colony's name

3. The game crashes just after clicking the embark button.

4. Apparently this causes my starting base template get broken

5. After that point I was unable to get the starting base template, nor print it myself by debug mode, nor printed by the game in a new game, nor even in a save file that works normally.

Cheers and if this helps you devs in something is a pleasure for me to posted it! ;)

Here are the broken template and the working one:

startingBaseBroken.yaml

startingBase.yaml

• Like 1

Share this comment