Serious Graphics Bugs using Mac

Cognomen
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Pending

I just bought ONI (with the Spaced Out! DLC) about two weeks ago on Steam, and am attempting to get the game to run on a Mac running macOS 10.13.6, with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 mb graphics card, a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 processor, and 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, and am encountering many of the same display problems that your troubleshooting guide lists: missing backgrounds, blurred and grainy surface textures, and duplicants that disappear at higher levels of magnification, as well as a peculiar text glitch - the top half of all letters is missing when I'm zoomed in beyond about half way, and then the text restores itself to normal when I zoom out.

I verified file integrity, re-installed, and applied the "-force-glcore" fix, all to no avail; the last patch Klei released seemed to improve things slightly, but only slightly: all of this means that I can't get started with the game, which I'm eager to do ~Player.log

Steps to Reproduce

Just going through the steps to start a new game, or loading and old one, brings this same result every time I make the attempt ~

User Feedback

Could you share some screenshots? I'm interested in seeing what you mean about the letters missing and having something to compare to the other screenshots I've seen. Do you notice graphical issues in other games?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

No issues in other games - and it isn't that letters are missing, it's that the top half of all text on screen is missing from the middle of any given alphanumeric upward - here are some screenshots ~ 

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 5.05.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 5.06.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 5.07.07 PM.png

Edited by Cognomen
~ added attachments ~
  • Haha 1

Share this comment

Your GPU's 256 MB video memory might be insufficient. First try switching to Low Resolution Textures and see if that changes anything. (Options -> Graphics -> "Low Resolution Textures" -> click Apply)

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I had already switched over to Low Resolution Textures, and found that it made no difference ~ which it still doesn't, I found just now when I went and double-checked ~

Edited by Cognomen

Share this comment

This appears to be a separate issue from the graphical issues other OSX players ae experiencing. Unfortunately your GPU does not meet minimum specs and is incompatible with the game due to it's inability to access more than 256 MB of dedicated video memory like the Intel HD 4600 is able to. If you have another system that meets the game's system requirements, we recommend playing on that system instead. If not, your best next step is to refund the game through Steam.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment