Rocket tooltip numbers for resources don't add up

proteantablet
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I don't know if this is intended behavior (in which case I think the UI should be clearer) or some sort of bug, but as shown in the attached screenshot, even when an asteroid seems to have enough resources to fill a rocket's Cargo Bays, the UI tells me that the rocket won't fill up if I launch it right now.

The tooltip reads:

Oily Asteroid has 2391.6 Kg resources available.
Rocket has capacity for 2000 Kg.

Cargo Bay 1000 Kg / 1000 Kg
Cargo Bay 771.7 Kg / 1000 Kg

I would expect both cargo bays to be full, since there are more than 2,000 Kg available.  However, it appears

In the interest of science, I launched the rocket.  When I did so, the readings for its cargo bay on the starmap changed to:

Cargo Bay 243.3 Kg / 1000.0 Kg
Cargo Bay 108.4 Kg / 1000 Kg

I would expect these to be either zero (since there's obviously no cargo right after launch), 1000 + 1000 (showing a full load after visiting the asteroid), or the same as shown above (showing a load that's not full because of whatever reason is causing the discrepancy above).

oni_rocket_capacity.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
1. Get an starmap destination down to < 2000 resources (may require exhausting it completely) 2. Build a rocket with two Cargo Bays and point it at that destination

User Feedback

Upon return, the resources retrieved were:

Cargo bay 1:
  349.3 Kg Methane
  480.5 Kg Carbon Dioxide
  46.2 Kg Niobium
== 876 Kg total

Cargo bay 2:
  369.3 Kg Methane
  480.5 Kg Carbon Dioxide
  46.2 Kg Niobium
== 896 Kg total

Total mass retrieved is 1772 Kg, matching the amount the pre-launch tooltip claimed would be retrieved, although it's split differently between the cargo bays.

The value displayed for "resources available" is now 898.4 Kg (somewhat more than you would expect just by subtracting the amount retrieved -- I'm not sure, but I bet this is because of additional resource accumulation while the rocket was in flight).  The tooltip shows the cargo bays being filled to 498.2 and 221.9 Kg, for a total of 720.1 Kg -- again, the rocket wouldn't retrieve all the supposedly "available" resources.

In the Starmap, "Current mass" of the destination is shown as 127988.9 tons, while "minimum mass" is 127988 tons.  This implies about 900 Kg are available, which matches "resources available", not the amount of resources that can actually be retrieved.

So, it appears that the "Resources available" figure is inaccurate, but the tooltip showing per-cargo-bay resources is accurate -- if you ignore the breakdown and look only at the total resource mass.  The more prominent "resources available" number, and the "current mass" / "minimum mass" indicators in the starmap, seem not to accurately reflect whether the rocket will actually return with a full load of cargo.

Share this comment

There are liquid resources in Oily Asteroid. If you install a Liquid Cargo Tank the total amount of retrieved resource will match the resource available.

Share this comment