pumped water temperature fluctuating

timscire
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

While testing a magma pump setup i noticed that the temperature of water pumped by the liquid pump was fluctuating excessively, during one test it even stopped working because of temperature runaway (water turning in to gas). I am using the setup as shown in the image.

269207530_setupoverviewsmall.thumb.png.369b5087048d77df3f6c4976bf89a2c2.png

The liquid pump gets 15g/s of 0 C water dropping on the right tile under it. the output is filtered using a power free liquid filter and the magma is just returned to be pumped around again. The amount is chosen as a tile will hold 32g before spilling over to the next tile, allowing 2 drops before this happens. As the liquid pump pumps water and magma one after the other the water blob stays small enough to not spill to the magma (and cause mayhem in the process).

The temperature of the water in the output pipe fluctuates between the temperature of the pump, the temperature of the incoming water and a halfway point. this means that there is some strange thing going on with the temperature calculations.

At the moment the image was taken I the water in the pipe is 0.004C while the pump is 17.4C, moments later the temperature goes to 8.8C before going back to 17.4C. 

Also the temperature of the pump stabilises around the wrong temperature. I would expect the pump and output water to be around 32C higher in temperatuur than the incoming water, 15g * 4.179 shc * 32C =  (aproximatly) 2KDTU. and the pump produces 2KDTU of heat. the temperatuur seems to stabilise around 17C. (the image was taken after I started making runs where the pump started at different temperatures, that is also why the liquid shutoff is there).

Steps to Reproduce

Create a liquid pump with a pool of magma underneath the left most side, and an insulated tile under the right side.

Drop 15g/s of water on the insulated tile.

watch the temperature of the liquid output.

• Like 1

User Feedback

The magma flows partially through these pipes, correct? Even insulated insulation pipes transfer heat. If you are looking at output temps then this could be the issue.

On a side not, you can set the valve to 13g and stack liquid up to 39g. The liquid wont flow sideways till you hit 40g (4 times min horizontal flow). Often people use naphtha for this setup to avoid large temp fluctuations, as naphtha must hit 40kg before flowing sideways which means you can vent 1kg without any worries.

Share this comment

If the magma changes the temperature of the water i would only expect the water to be hotter than I would calculate, never colder as is the result. And I still would not expect the temperature fluctuations, which is the reason for the bugreport. The temperature should still be constant (or only slowly changing) not 17C one packet 0.3C the next (with one 1700C magma in between). 

The magma being pumped never seems to change temperature. The (most) magma packets are 10kg however and if a tiny bit of that heat was exchanged to the 30g (output) packets of water it might be unnoticed. But I would expect the water to become more than 100C very quickly. 

Using naphtha might be an idee, although in the game I wanted to build this (before all the testing) I only have 200kg of plastic, and that is only 1 steam turbine. I can try and see if that also has the temperature changes. 

Share this comment

I have a new problem with the setup posted earlier. 

after having run successful in my base for 35 cycles the pump is suddenly overheating because of steam. while trying to find the reason I had to reload only to find out it now always happens immediate on some of the saves (not all of them, and earlier save have the same chance of failing then newer saves.) 

The blob of water on the tile seems to go from 15g to 44g with 1g on the magma. in 1 tik. this means that there is an extra packet of 15g, out of nowhere as the pipe only has 15g packets. 

this is really annoying as this is happening on the map I am trying to get all the achievements(not very fast). 

save game is included.

Overachiever.sav

Share this comment