Power transformers using too much power

BruteForce89
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Known Issue

So I have power transformers occasionally drawing more than their maximum power, causing the wires to overload.  This has happened in multiple places, with both small and large transformers.  I should also note that this issue seems to be happening more now that the game is running slower (cycle 552 with 64 duplicants), so maybe a result of lag?

PT_Failure.thumb.jpg.f1caad175a65d27f3d93a8c992ac6cc5.jpgPT_Failure_2.thumb.jpg.cfa8a0dd6830b6dc926df541df8f17bb.jpg

Data Galaxy.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Use power transformers.

User Feedback

Changed Status to Known Issue

Changed Redmine to https://redmine.klei.com/issues/4431

The transformers had a significant rework a few months ago, one of the consequences is that they actually 'draw' power from the upstream side. This means that they only protect the downstream circuit, there still has to be enough capacity and wire thickness on the upstream side to support it.

So in light of that: Am I correct in assuming that in your first screenshot, there is only 7kW load on the downstream side, but all 4 transformers are showing that load and thus applying 28kW to the upstream side? So you're expecting something like the first transformer is at 4kW, the second at 3kW, and the other two at 0kW?

Share this comment

Actually, wires on both sides of the transformer are breaking, upstream and downstream.  Another example of this happening is where I have two small power transformers charging more than 2kW worth of devices, and having the wires occasionally overload.  Additionally, all power in the map is drawn from one very long Heavy Conductive Wire, which draws its power from 5 Power Transformers, and is constantly overloading.  I tried going down to 4 Power Transformers, which helped but is still overloading constantly.

Share this comment