Output becomes unstable when memory toggle input and reset are set to Red at the same time

kbn
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I think it has something to do with the length of the wires or the order of the connections, but unfortunately I couldn't quite figure out the definite rule of thumb.
In any case, I think it's not good to have inconsistent behavior like this, so I think it's better to unify them.

By the way, it may be the same story as this bug that appeared when searching past cases.

However, I didn't know if this was really the same thing in the story about two years ago, so I posted it as a new bug.

Steps to Reproduce

Do a video-like test.
I'm not sure about the conditions, so try a lot of memory toggles side by side.
You should see irregular output results.
By the way, I shot this test video in the base game because I have temporarily removed the DLC, but the same thing happens with the DLC.

User Feedback

On 12/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, Steve8 said:

That's completely normal behavior with simple SR-latches. Both inputs being 1 is undefined behavior

Yes, you are correct.
But that is just a standard definition, and I think it is up to individual implementations to actually decide what that undefined behavior will be.
And in fact, the memory toggle implemented in ONI is designed to explicitly output 0 when both inputs are set to 1.
So I thought it would be better if the output when both inputs are changed to 0 at the same time is also unified without becoming unstable.

In that sense, this may have been a suggestion rather than a bug report.

Share this comment