ONI for Mac OS crashes on launch

JoonasD6
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Closed

<Before I start, please update the bug report form, as it asks for either Steam or OSX version. This IS from Steam, although running on a Mac, and OS X as a name of operating system doesn't exist anymore. Also DxDiag is inapplicable to Mac version.>

Remarkably simple crash – just a crash at start wen launching from Steam, behaviour begun since Outbreak update but also meaning the game has never been running on my mac before (works fine on another Windows computer). A white, blank window briefly appears before the game shuts down and the operating system reports a crash. (Crash log is attached; could not find the output_log.txt file – was it even created?) Reinstalling (multiple times), rebooting or the recent hotfixes didn't help.

Steps to Reproduce
Install, launch from Steam.

User Feedback

Could you try disabling the steam overlay in game, and try running again? Right click the game in steam, click properties, and uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"

Share this comment

Hi,

I have the same issue. I did try to disable the overlay, no success. The game crash shortly after I start a new game, whithin 30 seconds after the  world generation. No problem to generate the world and I probably took 5 good minutes to select my caracters as I was eating at the same time. Except for the character selection, I didn't choose any special settings or changed anything. No mods installed either.

Every time I restart this save game, I come back the moment my 3 characters have spawned, and I can play again the same world and the same steps. I didn't determined what's creating the issue, but it happen shortly after I kill an enemy. I can do a video of the issue if you like, or collect logs if you wish.

Operating System : OS X 10.11.6

All system requirement higher than recommended.

PS : I tried to generate a second world : Same issue.

The game on the bootcamp partition of this mac works fine (but I didn't tried ONI on it since a month or 2).

Edited by Fuzzi974

Share this comment

@Fuzzi974: What are you running for hardware? Could you post the contents of /Users/<Your Username/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log after a crash?

Share this comment

@255 So it's a MacBook Pro 2012 slightly modified. I changed the RAM and the HD for an SSD, also I removed the Superdrive to replace it by another hard drive. I use this additional HD for Windows only and ONI was not crashing on it last time I tried. But the Mac would be very hot.

My config :

15.4" screen 1440 by 900 (native)

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 &
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

> I believe the issue might come from this, as the Mac has to switch from one card to another when something require more graphical power. Now that I'm thinking about it, I will make a test by forcing the Mac to use only the GeForce later today.

More info here : https://support.apple.com/kb/SP694?viewlocale=en_US&locale=fr_FR

OS X is installed on a 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD from 5 years ago (still running smoothly as far as I noticed). Some of my steam games don't work with OS X 10.12 and that's why I stayed with 10.11 (even though I could still use the windows side of my mac...)

Also notes that Don't Starve and DST run smoothly even when I am hosting for DST with the caves activated.

Player.log

Share this comment

OK I just tried to force the machine to use only the GeForce and my Mac is not crashing anymore within the first second of gaming. It's maybe a bit early to be sure that this is the issue and I'll let you take a look at the player.log I uploaded earlier.

I'll update you on this. For now my fans start to run fast very quickly (after 30 seconds/1 min) in the game but the game doesn't crash anymore.

Share this comment

On 23/9/2017 at 12:05 AM, 255 said:

@Fuzzi974: Thanks for the update. I'm going to close this bug for now, but let us know if you come up with any new information.

Hum... Close this bug ? You mean ticket or bug ? Just so you know, you can't expect all the Mac users that has a Mac with a dual Graphic card to deactivate the weakest one before launching ONI... And Apple is stil selling Macs with this kind of configurations. See for yourself on this techs specs for the more recent MacBook Pros : https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

Share this comment

We're still investigating the issue, but it doesn't appear to affect all users with dual graphics cards.

Share this comment