No sound with two active audio devices

muki0
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hello, just installed the Steam version of this wonderful-looking game. Win10.

I have two audio devices. My realtek motherboard audio hooked up to my speakers, and my USB hyperx headphones. I usually have both plugged in and override which one I want to use at any given time via application/game preferences. I don't use any special software to do this, just the windows control panel, and games settings.

ONI starts up with an error:  "a problem occured initializing your audio drivers" and "update your drivers". I assure you they are up to date. There is no sound coming from the game.

Disconnecting my USB headphones did not correct the issue. Eventually I figured out that if I set USB hyperx as "default device", sound did start working. For some reason the game does not like it when I have motherboard realtek audio as the default device, when I have hyperx drivers installed alongside it (even if the phones are unplugged).

EDIT: found more information that may help. My realtek motherboard audio (like many others I assume) has both "speaker" output and "digital output" as output devices in the control panel. I've always set "speakers" as the default because I don't use digital out. If I set digital out as the default, the game launches without any error I can see! Even with the hyperx drivers still active!

However, since I'm not equipped with digital audio hardware, I can't actually test to hear if there's any sound.

Steps to Reproduce
USB hyperx drivers alongside realtek motherboard drivers, when the realtek is set to default device via windows control panel. hyperx device as default fixes it, though that means I'm forced to use that instead of the other.

User Feedback

Hey @muki0,

Sorry about that - this seems related to a common problem that we've had a heck of a time reproducing in-house.

When using Realtek as your default device, could you please try switching to the audio_logging_enabled branch, launch the game, and then go to your OxygenNotIncluded.exe folder and look for a file called fmod.log and upload it to this post?

This will give us more information about what's going wrong when it tries to initialise with Realtek and we can hopefully either implement a fix or send the information along to FMOD, our audio software.

Thanks!

Share this comment

I have this exact same problem. The game starts up with the following error:

A problem occurred initializing your audio device.
Sorry about that!
This is usually caused by outdated audio drivers.

I have an Asus Z270E motherboard with Realtek High Definition Audio sound onboard, running the latest available drivers. I have tried verifying game integrity, uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I even uninstalled and reinstalled my audio drivers but still presented with this error.

fmod.log file is attached, please help!!!

fmod.log

Share this comment