Low priority Automatic Dispensers infinite store materials errand loop

MrMeeseeks
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I have a setup where I am using Automatic Dispensers to store materials to an unreachable location from my dupes. The pile of stored materials is only reachable by an Auto-Sweeper. The intention is that the dupes will clean up the map and put these items into the Automatic Dispensers, then the Auto-Sweeper keeps near by  (and dupe accessible) Storage Bins filled up in case the dupes need to access the material.

The issue is that the dupes will take materials from the higher priority Storage Bins and put the materials into the lower priority Automatic Dispensers which is an infinite loop.

I would expect that a dupe would never decide to move materials from a higher priority storage to a lower priority storage.

319056630_StorageBin.thumb.png.6a7e6d8802d2d6cc64c00d3e44075f78.pngAuto-Sweeper.thumb.png.ac7c09d003aec2f817e935011185e301.png2065919440_AutomaticDispensers.thumb.png.2f60b08a5c977f141c269bc7beefa688.png

Dupe Loop.png

Steps to Reproduce

1) Set up an Automatic Dispenser on 3 priority to drop a material into a pit not reachable by a dupe (4+ tiles down)
2) Place an Auto-Sweeper such that it can not reach the Automatic Dispenser
3) Place a Storage Bin on priority 4 which is reachable by dupes AND reachable by the Auto-Sweeper to store that material
4) Watch dupes move the materials endlessly from the priority 4 Storage Bin to the priority 3 Automatic Dispenser while the Auto-Sweeper keeps moving the materials back to the dupe reachable Storage Bin

User Feedback

I did more testing and saw some inconsistencies as well. In my screen shots above, the dupes were looping the partially filled bleach stone bin. I did another test as well and only when the storage bin was 100% full would the dupe move some of the storage bin (higher priority storage) material to the automatic dispenser (lower priority storage). However if the storage bin was less than 100% full, the dupe would not take material out of the storage bin and put it into the automatic dispenser. So maybe in some cases they do this loop for partially filled bins, and with another test, they only do it for 100% full storage bin (or some higher percentage).

I compared this to a conveyor loader which actually worked like I expected. Neither a dupe nor a Auto-Sweeper would move the materials to it unless it was a higher priority.

543.png

Share this comment

Or you can try this design

The important is to keep the central tiles (which contains thousands of tons of items) out of reach of both your duplicants as well as the dispensers on top. Offloading the items in the storage compactors on the top left prevents the loop.

As only storage compactors are available to duplicants, they can be kept at the same priorities (I keep them at 3 to secure an "automated sweeping job" without having to think about it.

This design is inspired from the quantum stockpile in dwarf fortress.

cjL9VOEB7bpyO3z17jhyH3AacpRuALRA3pT3jqOpOlRkE6uxnX7VetEKWxo-hzLx2IZkVB-nELNSGMorsYtLtZr4gMOX7O_g3FRQCk9aOea9MN9RAH0fQdF0cvuJfWCEruzzGiw7bVvCfMrgMubzuA

Edited by GDP

Share this comment