Lost saved games

zanetyler
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

First I started to play from my computer with ONI. There were no problems. After performance issues I played from GeforceNOW without issues. 3 or 4 weeks ago when I started the game I didn't find my saved games. Restarted the game, but don't appeared. I've checked the Steam cloud and all of my ONI saved games disappeared. There were some saved games on my computer, but they were old. Tried to ask support from GFN, but they couldn't help, they told my saved games are lost forever.

After that I started a new game and played from my computer, but after almost 600 cycles the performance issues reappeared, so I gave an other chance to GFN. Tried if my files disappear again, they didn't, so I gave it a try. I could play for a week, and my saved games disappeared again. Tried GFN support, but didn't get an answer why did that happen. Tried Steam support to restore my files but they said they can't restore them and didn't help in sync issue.

I'm still afraid my saved games will disappear again if I play from GFN, I want to know why that happened.

And today I've checked the log files from my Steam app and found some interesting lines. Here are some examples about my disappeared files (these don't exist on my computer).

These ones disappeared 3 weeks ago:
[2021-05-21 15:18:45] [AppID 457140] File is in sync Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files/76561198025577400/Holdbázis/auto_save/Holdbázis Cycle 1312.png
[2021-05-21 15:18:45] [AppID 457140] File is in sync Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files/76561198025577400/Holdbázis/auto_save/Holdbázis Cycle 1312.sav

These ones disappeared on 05.17.:

[2021-05-21 15:18:45] [AppID 457140] File is in sync Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files/76561198025577400/The Space Beyond/auto_save/The Space Beyond Cycle 800.png
[2021-05-21 15:18:45] [AppID 457140] File is in sync Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/cloud_save_files/76561198025577400/The Space Beyond/auto_save/The Space Beyond Cycle 800.sav

Please help me to find out why is this happening and maybe to restore these files, because it looks like they exists somewhere!

Thank you!

cloud_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce

I don't know how to reproduce. Tried to find how should I reproduce, but couldn't find out what is the root cause.

User Feedback

seems like they need change that then, even if user use the cloud it still holds backup at own pc as-well

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

there is hdd restore tools, if hdd sectors not overwritten yet then you save files can be restored with those tools

Share this comment

I've played on GeforceNOW, so I don't access the storage. All I have some backup files on my computer, but they are old.

But not the saved games are the main problem. More I care about the mysterious disappearing. I can't play on GFN if my save games should disappear anytime. But my computer isn't strong enough to play in late game, I have performance issues.

The most annoying thing is, that everyone say it is not their responsibility. I'm paying for GFN, paying to Steam, paying to Klei and they don't give a **** and doesn't even try to find the root cause.

Share this comment

31 minutes ago, zanetyler said:

More I care about the mysterious disappearing.

yes i understand about that. there was some data center burn downs recently, maybe it something todo with that. allot people lost they stuff

but i not sure if that is your case

i never liked cloud and never start like it as you not have control over your stuff. if something goes lost then its gone

Edited by gabberworld

Share this comment

It looks like the root cause was that GeforceNOW closed their session before it could upload the saved games to the cloud. After I deleted most of my saved games and the overall size was under 100 MB I had no problem.

Thank you Klei for your support and didn't give a **** about my bug report! I really appreciate it!

Share this comment