Inconsistency with piping (and likely ventilation too)

AKevin618
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Sometimes liquids in pipes can flow from output ports through closed input ports to an open input port later down the pipe, when there is an output port later later down the pipe, but sometimes it can't, in identical builds with identical piping. my guess is that it has something to do with chunk barriers or something like that

the sav file and the thumbnail for the sav file are linked, as well as a 2 minute video of me demonstrating the inconsistency. I do use mods, but i disabled the mods in the sav file i provided, and a quick test still showed that it was inconsistent

I personally support the ability for liquids to flow through closed input ports to another input port, even if there is an output port at the end of the pipe, because then it would be basically impossible to automate the process of cleaning germy water. However, i believe either instance happening 100% of the time is much better than the alternative of either instance happening at random for no reason.

I removed all mods- still broken.png

I removed all mods- still broken.sav

Steps to Reproduce

Build structure as featured in video in different locations around the map (note which liquid shutoffs are enabled or disabled.)

if that doesn't work, you can try to build the structure in the same location as me with the same seed. (spaced out btw)
on that map, its the natural gas vent closer to the printing pod, to the left, instead of the other natural gas vent much further to the top right.

User Feedback

I would like to retract my opinion about preferring the liquid to flow from an output, past a closed input, flowing to an open input, despite the pipe having an output on the other end.

Pipe layout: Output<-->Closed Input<-->Open Input<-->Closed/Open Output

It should make sense for the Output to have equal weighting, thus making it impossible for liquid emerging from either output to travel to the input closer to the other output.

Also, after further testing, it seems that the liquid Not flowing is the more common occurrence. 
But still, either consistent solution would be much better than the current inconsistent behavior.

Share this comment

This is just pipe mechanics 101.  Throw a pipe bridge in there so that there is a sink to pull the fluid past the closed sink.  If there are two sources on either end, then the liquid can't swim "upstream" towards the other source, even if there is a sink on the way.  Always make sure there's one clear preferred direction with bridges.

Share this comment