Gas vents can auto build connection without dupe building

SwiftSlayer
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

If you have previously built 2 parallel gas vents that are not connected, when you grab a vent pipe to go build a connection between the two pipes (i.e. they pipes are running parallel on adjacent tiles but not already connected), when you click to lay the blueprint for the pipe connection to be built between the two pipes, rather than a blueprint, it just auto builds the connection instantly it like if you were in debug mode. While this is nice when you intend for it (arguably an exploit), it's super frustrating when planning a modification to a vent system and you accidentally click over 2 pipes and cannot just 'cancel' it and you ruin your setup and have to reload or tear down those 2 pipes and rebuild them to fix the mistake.

2018-07-06_07-44-38.mkv

Steps to Reproduce
Build 2 vent pipes running parallel but not connected. The two pipes must be on adjacent tiles. Then go try build a connection between the two, it builds instantly without dupes to complete it.

User Feedback

if you have two pipe tiles adjacent to each other but not connected, connecting them just requires a click-drag-release action with the right building type selected, no material consumed, no dupe engaged. This logic is consistent for gas pipes, liquid pipes, wires and transport bands. I'd say, not a bug, a feature.

Share this comment

The idea is that you already paid for the material in both tiles, so no new material is needed.

However, I still agree with you that this is an exploit and if you're making a change in the piping a dupe should come to finish it. Making an instant change is not right(although might help).

Share this comment

I agree with no materials needed, but it's inconsistent behavior that it instant builds.  It screws up your builds if some items place blueprints while others instant build then you have deconstruct the 2 tiles to break the connection and rebuild them with a dupe.

Share this comment

Yes it would be nice is plumbers or electricians where appropriate could do a task that without deconstruction disconnects a pipe or wire from every adjacent tile so you can reset it, these same dupes could handle making new connections with adjacent tiles with kind of a just get a wrench out and fix it animation.

Share this comment