Gas Filter not filtering correctly

KrayZ_UK
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

So, I have been trying to filter the O2 from CO2 using a gas filtration system, I have tried setting up the filter to filter oxygen and divert the remaining gas elsewhere, and also tried setting it so the filter takes CO2 and even Carbon itself from the CO2 whilst diverting the "rest" elsewhere.
What I have found, is that regardless of it being correctly piped up, and regardleess of the filtered element, it still produces CO2 and barely O2, which is entirely unplausable for such a thing scientifically.

CO2 filtration, when removing Oxygen, should send only Carbon or at the very least CO (Carbon monoxide) due to the removal of the Oxygen from the gas.
Likewise, for it to be producing the CO2 and Oxygen as it is currently (aside making the system unusable where it should be) it would require the input gas to be at least CO3 or CO4 to produce CO2 and O2 (polluted or not).

Please see the attached images below, as they show the filter (piped correctly) and set to filter carbon (sending it to the top of the base where i will be using it, if I could get it working that is, for other purposes), and pipes the remaining (should be O2) back into the lower parts of the base.

ONI - Co2 gas filter system 1.jpg

ONI - Co2 gas filter system 2.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
1: build gas pump and filter in a CO2 filled area of the base. 2: set filter to Oxygen, or CO2/Carbon depending on which way you wish to test this. 3: pipe each gas to two seperate locations and watch the results.

User Feedback

Hi @KrayZ_UK,

The Gas Filter does not change the chemical compound that is passed through it. It works like a switch, if the filter is set to Oxygen for example, any Oxygen that enters the filter will go out the filter port, and all other gasses will go out the default output port.  If only CO2 enters the filter, only CO2 will leave the filter. 

Share this comment

Hmm, ok so it's not a filter then.
It is a gas divertion system, that makes sense, but makes it also entirely unusable.
What is there for the purpose that the "filter" (by name) sounds like it should be doing?

Edit: just realised by how you describe the process, that would still require it to be doing what I am suggesting, as otherwise there would be NO other gases to come out the other pipe whatsoever.

Edited by KrayZ_UK

Share this comment

Hi @KrayZ_UK,

The gas filter is a way to separate mixed gasses.  

For example, if you have a room that has many gasses present, and you pump those various gasses into a single gas pipe, you can use a filter to separate out each type of gas into it's own individual pipe, for storage, use in a generator, or other consumer of gasses.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Ok, I get that from the original response you are saying this is NOT a bug but merely that is works differently to how it reads, but still I can't grasp how it is piping CO2 in the images when it is set to Carbon, not CO2.
But this aside, as the filter does not filter, but rather redirects or diverts seperate gasses based on (i assume the idea being) an internal switch and sensor, what is there in the way of actual gas filtration to take in a gas like CO2 (a compound) and convert it into Carbon and O2 (for example)? The methods such as algae terrariums, oxugen diffuser, carbon skimmer, do not seem to have sufficient means of conversion, especially when there are gas and liquid filtration methods which use heating and cooling to take in and seperate the different parts of a compound to then redivert those into seperate containers or rooms?

Share this comment

1 minute ago, KrayZ_UK said:

Ok, I get that from the original response you are saying this is NOT a bug but merely that is works differently to how it reads, but still I can't grasp how it is piping CO2 in the images when it is set to Carbon, not CO2.

With the filter set to Carbon, any Carbon gas that enters the filter will leave through the (orange) filter port, while all other gasses will leave through the (green) output port. No chemical changes are made.

As you mentioned, there are various buildings that do provide some chemical conversions, as well as plants, creatures, etc... that may also convert one type of material into another.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

so there is no means currently in the game, using the aforementioned scientifically viable methods of heating and cooling gas or liquid compounds, to filter or reduce those into their various parts? (even though the filter name suggests this is the case, definitely feel that needs changing to a differeent and more apt name and description tbh)
Only to take in a room filled with say, hydrogen, chlorine, oxygen, and natural gas, and divert all aside from the oxygen (for example) to one location?

Share this comment

21 minutes ago, KrayZ_UK said:

so there is no means currently in the game, using the aforementioned scientifically viable methods of heating and cooling gas or liquid compounds, to filter or reduce those into their various parts?

A building that comes to mind in this situation would be the electrolyzer, it splits water into 2/3~ of O2 and 1/3~ of H at a high temperature.

Share this comment