Gas and Liquid Pipe nad normal Thermo Sensors inconsistent default states

riwenna
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

It seems like the Gas Pipe Thermo Sensor and Liquid Pipe Thermo Sensor have different default states for when the gas and liquid pipes are empty.

I would also be expecting them to be "triggerable" even when empty by changing the settings (they seem to be reading absolute zero at -273.2 *C, so I would expect setting them both to "Below 100*C" or even "Below *0" would turn the automation on). But, this might be by design, even if it is giving me trouble. I was just expecting them to be triggerable since you can trigger an atmo sensor in vacuum and the hydro sensor outside of liquid. Just realized you can't realize a plain thermo sensor in vacuum at all.

However, the Gas Pipe Thermo Sensor gives the "true" signal always when the pipe is empty, and the Liquid Pipe Thermo Sensor always gives a "false" (which is a slight horror as I might need to go and break into that carefully closed off water-filled room...). There is nothing in their description that might hint that they are inconsistent or have an the opposite behaviour. And, to make things better, the overtext on the Liquid and Gas Pipe sensors is at least correct, reading "Active" for Gas and "Inactive" for liquid. The regular thermo sensor in vacuum reads "Active" and gives out a "false" signal :)

Empty pipes, liquid pipe sensor on the left is returning false, gas pipe sensor on the right is returning true:5b912fef31c95_Screenshot2018-09-0613_37_47.thumb.png.4731d099defe39714b58b9c613f05bad.png

Empty liquid pipe (it's the radiant one with the sensor attached):

5b912ff3318ba_Screenshot2018-09-0613_39_15.thumb.png.ba0899c1de222dfd9deea39feeb59a29.png

Empty gas pipe (again, the radiant one with no outoupt hooked as of yet):

5b912ff750b25_Screenshot2018-09-0613_39_19.thumb.png.d80899f57a77b27e6a682db9d099bc2d.png

"Active" Thermo sensor in vacuum giving out a "false" signal:

5b913204e7faf_Screenshot2018-09-0613_53_55.thumb.png.b82d50295b597f912da0d9216168412d.png

Steps to Reproduce
Build a Thermo sensor in vacuum, Liquid and Gas Pipe Thermo Sensor through empty pipes of the correct type, observe automation outputs.

User Feedback

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but to change the state of a pipe sensor you have to actually put some kind of substance triggering the requirements to change.

Moving vacuum by a temperature sensor will not change its state, same with a germ sensor.

Share this comment

Yea, no, that's okay, I understand that not being able to trigger the temperature change in vacuum and in empty pipes might be by design. It still does show a readout temperature (absolute zero, -273.2), so one would expect that setting it to "below X" for any X would always set it to true or active, and "above X" for any X would always set it to false or inactive. If they give a fixed logical value by design, I would find a message saying "not in gas/liquid/whatever" more intuitive then an apparent readout of absolute zero.

But, the actual problem is that the "default" signal those three sensors give is not consistent (look at images). The empty liquid pipe thermal sensor gives "false" always, the empty gas pipe thermal sensor gives "true" always, and the plain thermal sensor in vacuum gives always "false". Why always "true" for empty gas pipe thermal sensor, if the other two are fixed to false?

Additionally, for the plain thermal senson, when you click on it the Status field says "Active" when it is in vacuum, even if it is giving an inactive "false" signal (look at my last image).

Edited by riwenna

Share this comment

Ah, in that case I think the pipe sensors got fixed as part of another bug report and it should be okay in the released branch.

The world space sensors need a pass though, I'll take a look. Thanks!

Share this comment

Currently, in the live branch, the gas pipe temperature sensor is still default "true" while both of the other ones were default "false" (and by default in this case I mean, when there's no liquid/gas in the pipes/surroundings). I haven't buit the other ones but doesn't seem much different as far as these sensors go.

Just.. double check the consistency of their beheviour in vacuum, and their "status" text as compared to what they actually output :)

Share this comment

Can you try rebuilding the pipe sensors? I believe they save their state so if they were spawned before the fixes and saved their incorrect default state they won't fix themselves.

In my test scenes if I build the pipe sensors I can't get them to default to on.

Share this comment