Game uses A TON of RAM for some reason

g5457s
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

I just did an extremely heartless and cruel experiment of killing 2000 dupes in debug mode just to test out what's causing the game to slow down. I found out that the game doesn't use much CPU power, but boy does it use A TON of RAM.

This is just an extreme case because I completely destroyed an asteroid with the destroy tool in debug mode and left 2000 dupes lying dead, but I think the really high RAM use is what's causing the game to slow down to a crawl the bigger and more populated a colony becomes.

CPU specs:

Intel i7-4770

NVidia GTX1050Ti

4GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 DDR3 (x4 = 16GB)

NIIO CPU use 1.jpg

NIIO RAM use 1.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
Once the colony grows bigger and more populated, the RAM use should increase. This is an extreme case because I used debug mode, but here are the steps to reproduce: 1 - Enable debug mode, press backspace. Using the destroy tool, literally destroy the entire asteroid. 2 - From the top of the map, spam Ctrl+F2 in intervals of 500-1000 and let them fall to the bottom part of the asteroid. They'll keep "falling" even if the reached the bottom. Once their breath meter reaches 0, build a platform and let them die. Destroy the platform. Repeat until 2000 dupes died. 3 - At this point, the game should really slow down to a crawl and start using lots of RAM. 4 - Save the game and quit. Open the game again and load the save file where 2000 dupes died, and what you get is A TON of RAM use just by simply loading that save file. Going back to the main menu doesn't reduce the RAM use at all - you have to quit the game.

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.