Freezing/crashing/force restart and bsod

squanter187
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Game started stuttering after 200 cycles and now on 300+ screen started to flicker and few time is went all beige or black. One time it caused a machine restart the other time i got bsod after forced restart. Machine is i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, 16GB ram and gtx 780. 

Panopticon 1 Cycle 328.sav

Steps to Reproduce
hard to tell

User Feedback

Random restarts indicates a hardware issue. If it is linked to this game, then odds are that it's a hardware issue related to either CPU temperature or CPU voltage. It could also be an issue with overheating the CPU voltage regulators (VRMs).

I would go for the most likely candidate first, which is the CPU temperature. Get some software to measure and log the CPU. If you don't know any, I would recommend CoreTemp64. To download, do not click download. Instead click "more downloads" and download the 64 bit standalone version. Run it and under tools, enable logging. It will make a csv file where it writes the temperature of each core every 10 seconds. Run the game while logging. If the computer crashes, you have the crashing temperature on the last line of that file.

If you have temperatures at 90 C or higher, then your CPU cooling appear to be underpowered and your CPU overheats as a result. You can get decent after market CPU heatsinks on a budget, but it might be as simple as increasing fan speed, cleaning dust and/or move cables, which blocks airflow.

Share this comment

Sorry for the necro - I'm having this same issue after upgrading to a new CPU and mobo (fresh Windows install). It doesn't appear to be heat related. I'll be breadboarding this weekend, testing a different PSU, and RMAing the mobo if I can't find a solution. Logs are in this thread:

Share this comment