Fires and buildings do not consume oxygen

Ephos
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hey, in a game with so much emphasis on realism and simulation, I am finding myself a little stunned to see that none of the buildings in the game actually consume oxygen -- I'm about to lose the game in Arboria due to an oxygenation event / hyperoxia / oxygen over-pressurization. 

I've been hoarding oxygen since the game began (since the name of the game is.. Oxygen Not Included) using Oxyferns and scrubbing polluted oxygen from the various cave systems, keeping 4-5 dupes alive the entire time - and I was hoping to use the excess oxygen through my Wood Burners, Coal Generators, and Petroleum Plants, but when I turned them on, I found that they do not use up any O2 to create CO2, they simply "pop" CO2 out of thin air.

This only made matters worse, as the CO2 can only be cleaned up into .. more oxygen , effectively making the machines which should be burning fuel and consuming oxygen, producing more oxygen!

Due to a water shortage (from... advanced research and oxyferns destroying water without producing anything), I was hoping to synthesize some water using the Hydrogen Generator (H+O2 = H2O), after finding some pockets of H-Gas, but instead.. the hydrogen was simply destroyed, with no conversion to anything other than a brief few seconds of electricity.

The trees in Arboria / Arbor Trees also do not produce any O2, or consume CO2, nor do any of the fauna for that matter -- there's Pips crawling all over the base, who don't breathe.

Pls fix I may need to farm dupes otherwise

Sincerely,
Ephos

2019-12-15_03-18-25.jpg

OxygenNotIncluded_2019-12-15_03-07-46.jpg

OxygenNotIncluded_2019-12-15_03-15-49.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
1. Play the game 2. Research fossil fuels 3. Burn the fuel 4. ??? 5. Profit!
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

@Ephos, this is a core design of the game and I doubt will be fixed. Realism is often discussed on these forums; Klei has to draw a line somewhere.

High pressure oxygen resulting in popped eardrums is an issue many players have encountered; due to the use of Algae Terrariums (they have no overpressure limit). You should not have an issue with your base design as you are using an Oxygen Diffuser and Gas Vents, which overpressure at 1800 g and 2000 g. These pressures won’t cause popped eardrums. Just make sure that the CO2 that is generated doesn’t overpressure by using a Carbon Skimmer or otherwise storing the CO2 away from duplicants.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment