Dupe Select Screen - ESC: bug? feature?

vuudoodude
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

I noticed this afternoon that, if you're in the duplicant selection screen before starting a new colony, that hitting ESC will close the duplicant selection screen, showing you you're future colony. If this is intentional, it's brilliant, because it can be frustrating to pick your dupes then find out you got burned, getting a bad layout thanks to the RNG nature of procedural generation.

Why I think it's a bug: I cannot figure out how to get back to the dupe selection screen. It may be possible that I missed a hotkey, but I don't think so. Everything looks uninitialized, but maybe this could be a fun mode where you start with nothing and have to wait a day or so to get the first dupe, relying on the printer to source all your duplicants. So... don't take it out, please.

Here's my suggestion to fix: During cycle 1, as long as the user hasn't picked his dupes, allow us to return to the dupe selection screen by clicking the printer. After the first cycle, offer the first through the normal printing process, and disable the dupe selection screen.

Love the game, by the way. I've got about 100 hours in, still haven't really set up a successful colony, and I'm still feeling engaged and having fun. Really hit the sweet spot with this one.

Steps to Reproduce
At duplicant selection screen, hit ESC.

User Feedback

Fixing a typo:

"After the first cycle, offer the first duplicant through the normal printing process, then disable the dupe selection screen."

--so that in this mode, all duplicants are generated one at a time using the function you'd normally use for reinforcements.

Share this comment

It is a bug, however if you wait 3 or 4 cycles the printer will be read, wait for night fall, alt+F4 out and load your autosave ready to print a dupe

Share this comment

i can confirm it, happen to me today too, i pressed every button on my keyboard couldn't find the way back to the dupe selection , had to shut it down via ALT + F4.

would be nice to rejoin selection by just pressing ESC again.

lg

Share this comment