Debug Controller Crash

qing_an
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

I tried to move a building in another place in the map, then it crashed. By the way, it's ONI(DLC). 

Here is the bug information: 

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

StampTool+<InitializePlacementVisual>d__23.MoveNext () (at <cb20703507b14eea8088dbc44abf7f85>:0)
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <72b60a3dd8cd4f12a155b761a1af9144>:0)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
StampTool:Activate(TemplateContainer, Boolean, Boolean)
DebugBaseTemplateButton:OnClickMove()
KButton:SignalClick(KKeyCode)
KButton:OnPointerClick(PointerEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Build: U43-526233-SD

Steps to Reproduce

Restart the game with no mod open. 

Reinstall the game. 

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I'm having the same issue! Every time I try to "copy", it crashes the whole game (ONI DLC). Tried it with and without mods, same result. Hope there is a solution to this, I'd like to explore the new content, but love to use the debug menu. 

Share this comment

Dev debug (backspace) and dev tools are unsupported, that said we'll certainly look at bug reports as it also affects our usage of the tools. I tried copying a number of different buildings and entities on the current Steam build but couldn't reproduce the crash. Could you attach a screenshot or video?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@qing_anI believe this only occurs when a template file was saved without a building but your report indicates you were moving a building. Could you attach your template yaml?

There's a workaround mentioned by blue_francis14 in this thread which involves adding the following to the template yaml file.

buildings: []
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 10/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, EricKlei said:

@qing_anI believe this only occurs when a template file was saved without a building but your report indicates you were moving a building. Could you attach your template yaml?

There's a workaround mentioned by blue_francis14 in this thread which involves adding the following to the template yaml file.

buildings: []

based on my experience, it was actually not so relavent to having a building or not when using templates or just pasting select, like there are official templates that only contain a geysey but it works fine, however, if you select an area that contains geysey but no other buildings like brain machine etc, then the game will crash if you paste it. It seems not so consistant with having buildings or not. And I did said in my post that using non-official template the game will crash, but it turns out using official template, the game will also crash with certain templates (most is fine). it's annoy since i have no idea what will cause the game crash and i dont save the game every step (doing so was super annoy as well)

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

It does appear to be the same issue which was introduce in our changes to the dev debug tools. Some of the official templates could be missing the blank buildings array and previously that wasn't an issue.

It will be fixed in the next major release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

On 11/4/2022 at 11:45 PM, EricKlei said:

It will be fixed in the next major release.

Would it be possible to make sure newly created template files do have "buildings" part inside?
As for now if there is no building in the selected area tag is not created inside yaml file.

Share this comment

The code now handles loading template files with or without the buildings section. The workaround will not be needed once the fix goes live.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment