Crashes on first startup

Skuggfisk
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

The game crashes on startup while displaying the Klei logo, has never successfully started so far

-The game should have the proper permissions to read/write where it needs to, have also tried launching both the game and Steam as admin to make sure
-I have tried to both verify the integrity of game files as well as reinstall the game
-Have tried restarting the PC
-Attempted to delete the "kplayerprefs" file, but it does not exist, the specified folder only contains the folders "mods" and "save_files" along with "WorldGenDataSave.dat" and "WorldGenSimSave.dat"
-No mods are installed
-Made sure that Steam is up to date

Crash seems to occur at:
[09:08:57.843] [1] [INFO] Creating SteamManager.
[09:08:57.918] [1] [WARNING] SteamManager [Steamworks.NET] SteamAPI_Init() failed. Refer to Valve's documentation or the comment above this line for more information.
[09:08:57.918] [1] [ERROR] Steam not initialized in time.

No other Steam game is having any kind of issue

Steps to Reproduce

Run the game (either via Steam or the exe)

Game crashes at the Keli logo

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

When was the last time you were able to launch the game? Could you share your Steam client information, Help -> About Steam.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I have never been able to launch the game
I just recently got it on the steam sale, installed it, launched it, and then it crashed as described

Here's the Steam client info and I have made sure to check for updates:
image.png.cee4cebba1c61d336a29a8380f8d87f7.png

Share this comment

Your Steam client is over a year old and something is preventing it from updating. The reason why other games are working is because they are using a much older Steamworks integration.

I suggest reinstalling Steam as this helped another player with the same issue. You can do this without uninstalling your games if you move your Steamapps folder before uninstalling, instructions here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Amazing, thank you!

Didn't see anything wrong on the build date as I misread 2020 as 2021 >.<

Not sure why Steam didn't complain about it but apparently one of its files were corrupt which might be why it didn't update properly, fixed it by running a chkdsk and reinstalling Steam

The game now launches and seems to work properly :D

image.png.df7d6d2832679650053ce0eb9e56fd40.png

Share this comment