crashes at start up, unity error?

justcrisp
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I receive this error upon starting the game. "Oxygen Not Included unity - 2020.3.30f1_1fb1bf06830e" Game loaded and worked yesterday, doesn't work today. seems like it only works every few days randomly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it. I have verified the file integrity. I have run in several compatibility modes. I have zero mods installed. I feel like I've tried almost everything from online suggestions

IMG_1890.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

no clue how to reproduce this error. I wouldn't wish this upon my enemy.

I also do not know what save files or log I can attach as the issue happens before the game even starts and I also don't have any game save files that can be attached. However there is always a log file that keeps showing up on my desktop when I download the game no clue why its there or what it is, its not even the name of my game. 

Player.log

User Feedback

It should still generate a Player.log file, you can find instructions on where to find it here. The harmony.log file on your desktop is from one of the mods you have installed which has logging enabled (not very common). I know you said you have zero mods installed but this file suggests otherwise--unless it's an old file. Try removing Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\mods.json and then launch the game.

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

Found my player log and attached it to the original bug report. I'm not sure why the harmony.log is showing up then still. I currently have zero mods and I have deleted the harmony.log and then uninstalled and reinstalled the game still with no mods and the harmony.log will just appear on my desktop with the reinstalled game. so I'm not sure why it would show up, unless its attaching itself to old game saves when I did use mods. should I delete my old game saves? also I tried your suggestion to remove the mods.json and launch but it still had the same unity error unfortunately. I greatly appreciate your continued assistance!

Share this comment

It looks like Unity is crashing trying to create the graphics device. Do you have any launch options set in the Steam settings for the game? Does it work if you disable the Steam Overlay before launching the game?

image.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Nope, no launch options. I also just tried your suggestion to turn off the steam overlay off and still getting the unity crash upon launch. Thanks for the suggestions though.

might be a stretch but would uninstalling and manually deleting all ONI files so that they are replaced upon reinstallation for a fresh start? I don’t care about my saved games at this point, I’d prefer just being able to play period.

Share this comment

Given that the issue is happening in creating the graphics device, I would suggest first checking that the drivers for your GPU are up to date.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Just checked and they say they are updated but they could be lying. Ha
I agree that the issue is happening at that time but it makes me question why is it still working only on some days? Currently it’s the third day since the last time it worked and before that was almost a week. Not sure when it will work next if at all. I’ll keep checking on the updates though. Thanks

Share this comment