Crash on creating new world

TmDobbin
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Closed

On opening the game, clicking buttons seems to freeze the game for a second, before returning to normal. Creating a new game goes through the loading screen as normal but crashes at the end, closing the game completely. See attached file for specs (lshw)

lshw_output.txt

Steps to Reproduce

1: Start a new game with any generation options

2: Wait through the loading screen

3: Crash!

User Feedback

Are you using pipewire as an audio server by any chance? (run "pactl info" in a terminal and look for PipeWire) There is a linux worldgen bug caused by FMOD and pipewire.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

15 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Are you using pipewire as an audio server by any chance? (run "pactl info" in a terminal and look for PipeWire) There is a linux worldgen bug caused by FMOD and pipewire.

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I'm using pulseaudio, so I don't think this is the issue. What I find weird is that the Player.log doesn't seem to have any issues - it just suddenly cuts off, just like the game does. Appreciate the help though!

Share this comment

A little bit more info -- setting the graphics mode to low textures allows the game to load and run for a couple seconds before clicking begin after the intro text. Then it crashes as before. New log messages though!! (see below) Any chance this could be a hardware issue? I don't see why it would be as my specs are fairly decent for a laptop, the only shortcoming is its 4Gb Memory, but the game says it only requires 2Gb.

[16:50:00.186] [1] [INFO] Attempting to start a new game with current world gen
[16:50:00.909] [1] [INFO] Generating a world with the traits:
[16:50:00.963] [1] [INFO] Set world to [worlds/SandstoneDefault]
[16:50:01.005] [1] [INFO] Attempt success
THREAD - started 'SimThread' (140424022849280)
[16:50:08.649] [1] [INFO] 61.26719 Level Loaded.... backend
0:3(12): error: extension `GL_OVR_multiview2' unsupported in vertex shader

Note: Creation of internal variant of shader 'GUI/Text Shader' failed.
ShaderProgram is unsupported, but because jobified rendering is enabled the ShaderProgram can not be removed.

0:3(12): error: extension `GL_OVR_multiview2' unsupported in vertex shader

Note: Creation of internal variant of shader 'Hidden/InternalErrorShader' failed.
ShaderProgram is unsupported, but because jobified rendering is enabled the ShaderProgram can not be removed.

Shader warmup: 64 shaders 204 combinations 1.479s
[16:50:12.384] [1] [WARNING] No name tables provided to generate world name. Using GENERIC
[16:50:12.590] [1] [INFO] PopulatePOIsFromWorldGen
[16:50:12.611] [1] [INFO] -- GAME --
[16:50:12.705] [1] [WARNING] True Timelapse.OnNewDay but worldsToScreenshot is not empty
[16:50:13.157] [1] [INFO] Checking which steam branch we're on. Got: []
[16:50:13.881] [1] [INFO] Screen resolution updated, saving values to prefs: 1920x1080 @ 60, fullscreen: True
[16:50:56.193] [1] [WARNING] Insufficient keys to cover root plan menu Max of 14 keys supported but TUNING.BUILDINGS.PLANORDER has 15
[16:50:58.492] [1] [WARNING] missing 'ui' anim in 'artifacts_kanim (KAnimFile)'
[16:50:59.739] [1] [INFO] WattsonMessage OnActivate

Share this comment

Minimum requirement is 4GB memory, you might have been looking at storage space which is 2GB. Looking at your log it lists your system memory at only 3.3 GB though, which suggests it's shared with your integrated GPU and may not be sufficient.

I don't believe the GL_OVR_multiview2 error is related to your issue since it appears in our linux log files as well.

Since switching to low graphics mode allows you to progress a little further it could be memory related, either system or video memory. Your player log indicated you only have 303 MB video memory available.

You can try enabling a developer test asteroid, which is much smaller than a normal asteroid and see if that loads.

1. In your game install directory open OxygenNotIncluded_Data/StreamingAssets/worldgen/clusters/TinySurface.yaml
  2. Remove line 5, which says "skip: EditorOnly"
  3. Launch the game and create a new game with the Tiny Surface asteroid.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Minimum requirement is 4GB memory, you might have been looking at storage space which is 2GB. Looking at your log it lists your system memory at only 3.3 GB though, which suggests it's shared with your integrated GPU and may not be sufficient.

I don't believe the GL_OVR_multiview2 error is related to your issue since it appears in our linux log files as well.

Since switching to low graphics mode allows you to progress a little further it could be memory related, either system or video memory. Your player log indicated you only have 303 MB video memory available.

You can try enabling a developer test asteroid, which is much smaller than a normal asteroid and see if that loads.

1. In your game install directory open OxygenNotIncluded_Data/StreamingAssets/worldgen/clusters/TinySurface.yaml
  2. Remove line 5, which says "skip: EditorOnly"
  3. Launch the game and create a new game with the Tiny Surface asteroid.

Ah you're right, got the two confused. Oops. Thank you again for the suggestion, however I was able to make the game work, even without low graphics mode. I noticed my swapfile on this install was only 2GB. I increased it to 6GB, and the game worked with no issue. (4GB also seemed to work fine) the free -h command seems to report that during gameplay, physical memory usage is at maximum and swap is at about 2-3GB. Pleased that I've got it working now, and thank you so much for your help with this!!

Share this comment