Constant crashing. This is unreal.

chizzle
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with this game.  It can run for hours and hours without issue and then I'll start having random bouts of crashing.  Crashing when the game launches.  Crashing after a cycle during saving.  Sometimes it'll happen in the same spot over and over and over.

I've scoured the internet for resolutions and have done the following:  reinstalled the game, upgraded game drivers, upgraded audio drivers, and disabled all irrelevant services/apps on my computer.

I'm just at a loss here.  The paths provided in the FAQ for finding crash dumps doesn't reveal any files.  All I can see is my player log where there are UnityEngine errors and some stuff in the Windows event log complaining about ntdll.dll.  The game is super fun but holy....this is so frustrating.

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

Zero mods.  Bought spaced out and installed, started a new game.  About 70 days in I started getting crashes again and now I can barely go 2 cycles without a crash/black hole ate your game.  I give up.  If I was under the 2 hours played, I'd refund.  Not knowing WTF is causing this issue is infuriating and I'm just tired of it.  

Player-prev.log

Share this comment

From your logs it looks like the game is sometimes having trouble writing the save file. OneDrive or Controlled Folder Access could be interfering with the game. Try excluding the OneDrive/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded folder from OneDrive or temporarily disable OneDrive to see if it fixes the issue. Also check Controlled Folder Access to see if the game is mentioned as being blocked, though I suspect your issue is with OneDrive.

Share this comment

Weird, no idea why OneDrive would be syncing that folder.  I'll give it a whirl and report back.  Thank you!

Share this comment

Ok played for about 5 hours and not a single crash after disabling OneDrive.  Looks like that was the issue.  One thing I feel I should mention is that after disabling OneDrive for my Documents folder:  I had to manually copy the documents folder from OneDrive to my PC under c:\users\<username>\Documents.  Might not be 100% required but I had a lot of other saved games in that folder.

Share this comment

It's your CPU I had the same issue. Intel borked something. Reducing the multiplier in the BIOS or with Intel's XTU tool stabilized my system.

You can find a lot about it on reddit.

Share this comment