Colony saves have disappeared

Hauth
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi,

My colony saves appear to be gone, but the "Resume" button which lists my ~600 cycle colony is displayed. Clicking the resume button does nothing, and when click the load button it displays no colonies.

I've attached an image which I think will be helpful. Some extra information:

• I have not tried to create a new colony for fear of changing the data, making the problem more difficult to debug or ask questions about.
  • I have tried restarting Steam.
  • Steam says that my cloud status for the game is "Up to date"
  • I also notice I'm unable to redeem blueprints from the main menu; I see the first blueprint but then cannot proceed.
  • When trying the menu to convert local to/from cloud saves I see an error about file permission. I have not changed this permission and appears like I have the permission asked for.

How can I get my colonies back? My dupes need to go to the bathroom!

Thank you,
Lucas

colony-gone.png

local-cloud.png

20240226193140_1.jpg

yaml-permission.png

DxDiag.txt

Steps to Reproduce

I am unsure how to reproduce.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I thought to check my other computer which has steam and ONI installed. I prevented it from connecting to the internet, loaded Steam in offline mode, and my saves are all there on that hard drive. So I still have the colonies in some form (albeit out-of-date versions of them), in case that's useful to know.

Share this comment

The game is unable to access files in question. Blueprints also save a few files in the Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded/ folder.

There are some steps you can try in our troubleshooting guide. Windows might be blocking access from Controlled Folder Access or a third party security/virus software might a similar effect. If you have OneDrive configured that might also cause issues.

If you haven't already I recommend backing up that folder and then try removing it form the original location to see if the game is able to create a new folder structure there.

Share this comment

Thank you, this was helpful!

I learned that it was Windows Defender, specifically the "Controlled folder access" option. When that is turned on, I am unable to see colony saves within the game. That doesn't explain how they were deleted from my hard drive, but I think the steam cloud sync brought all the content back somehow?

Either way, I've figured out what prevented ONI from accessing the directories. Why files were deleted is a mystery for another day.

I consider this issue solved.

Thanks again!

Lucas

Edited by Hauth
Adding clarity about the status of my issue.

Share this comment