Cannot create new saves: Failed reading WorldGenSimSave.dat

CynicalBusiness
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

As of the Recreation Pack (RP-381414), I have been completely unable to create new saves. This worked before in the release version.

When creating a new save, picking an asteroid works fine, the world generation screen appears and allows the loading bar to finish completely, then I am dropped back to the title screen. I tried this again with all mods disabled and got the same behavior.

In the log file, I am greeted with an error stating WorldGenSimSave.dat failed to read; I've attached the entire log for more info.

For reference, the disk is nowhere near full (over 500GB of remaining space) despite the game occasionally complaining 15MB needs to be freed up. Even when it does not complain, however, this issue still appears.

I have also attempted to verify files with Steam, though it claims all files validated successfully.

Bear in mind, my Documents is a symbolic link. That seems to be the only difference I have, so possibly that is the culprit? A symbolic or junction link for Documents is not uncommon in the case of OneDrive or DropBox (and possibly Google Drive does it now too?), and, in some cases, these links point to other disks (though not in my case).

Steps to Reproduce
Start the game, then start a new save. Happens every time.

User Feedback

I had something similar happen to me. I had two saves that I deleted via game menu (were less than 20 cycles) in a clean install for release. No mods, ever. In my case the building bar at the bottom would not complete when I tried to start a new save. My documents folder is also a link btw.

I then manually deleted the picture summaries for the saves I had deleted, and all save files, and the unlock file in my user directory, and verified on steam (said no changes like above though).

Next attempt at creating a game was successful.

Share this comment

I had the same problem when I tried to move my saved game directory to Dropbox.  I feel pretty confident it's because of the symbolic link.  (Using a directory junction doesn't work either.)  Interestingly, I can play an already created game just fine with the symbolic link--I just can't create new games.

As a workaround I created a saved game folder on Dropbox and wrote a set of batch files to synchronize that folder with the ONI saved game folder.  Running the script copies the Dropbox files to the saved game folder and starts ONI.  When I quit the game, it copies all the new files back to the Dropbox folder.

To prevent bloat from an ever-increasing number of saved game files, there's also an option to remove orphaned files, which deletes any files in the destination folder if they do not exist in the source folder.  [PLEASE CREATE A BACKUP OF YOUR SAVED GAME FOLDER IF YOU USE THESE.]

ONI Dropbox Scripts.zip

Edited by DaveS
typo

Share this comment