[AU-217565] Air Scrubber is making excessive reserve of CO2

Kasuha
  • Branch: Live Branch Pending

I had an air scrubber in an isolated room to which I routed CO2 collected around the base, and was switching the scrubber on when there was enough pressure in the room to save power.

Later I made a better recycling room elsewhere so I deconstructed the room and the scrubber. A bottle of CO2 was left on the floor. I selected it and clicked the Empty Building button. Within a short time, my whole base was literally flooded with high pressure CO2, exceeding 4 kg of CO2 per tile even when half of the base was already full.

When checking the new CO2 recycling plant, I found out its air scrubbers already made over 150 kg reserve of CO2 each.

cdGTuy0.jpg

Air Scrubber should not hoard CO2 beyond all limits, when the storage exceeds some reasonable value such as 1 kg it should stop absorbing CO2 from environment and just process the reserve until it is below the limit again.

Future Citadel.sav

Steps to Reproduce
Load attached save, unpause, watch action of air scrubbers. Also check out the flooded base (around the printing pod).

User Feedback

While the Air Scrubber does still have the 3 month old Empty Pipe bug (for some reason),
I'm not actually seeing a bug here. You're cutting power from the building before it can do anything.
The element consumer ticks 4 times a second and the converter ticks once per second.
Therefore the pressure will drop before 1 second can pass and power will be cut.

If you want to see the Empty Pipe bug... Just cut the water off.

20170520141246_1.jpg

Edit: Tried changing the conversion interval to 0.25 and even 0.1 yet the consumer still outpaces the converter.
Adding a battery buffer behind the switches doesn't help either because the consumer is still running.
Just adds a delay to the bursts of operational.

Not sure about the best approach to fix this problem.
Ideally should add another intake for CO2 gas and remove the consumer but I know from experience Klei is avoiding this addition for as long as possible because it's a nightmare to implement more than one conduit consumer or conduit dispenser.

Edited by Risu

Share this comment

On 20. 5. 2017 at 9:04 PM, Risu said:

I'm not actually seeing a bug here.

I believe that potentially unlimited amount of stored CO2 counts as a bug. At cycle 681 of the same save, there's already 890 kg of CO2 in that very scrubber.

What I am proposing is, when there is more than certain amount - such as 1 kg - of CO2 in the reserve, the scrubber should stop collecting ambient CO2 until the storage is below that limit again. 

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I believe that potentially unlimited amount of stored CO2 counts as a bug. At cycle 681 of the same save, there's already 890 kg of CO2 in that very scrubber.

What I am proposing is, when there is more than certain amount - such as 1 kg - of CO2 in the reserve, the scrubber should stop collecting ambient CO2 until the storage is below that limit again.

Hmm. That's true. The element consumer is stating that it has a capacity of 5 kg, but that setting is not read anywhere in the code.

Share this comment