Air filter not working properly (presumably if pipes built over it)

Ildefonse
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Steam Pending

I had hydrogen pump behind an air filter which kept getting broken. Upon investigation, I realised that the air filter wasn't working at all:

image.png.42ce9de63992ad156e33e40021dc1141.png

Note the oxygen blob in the filtered hydrogen only line, and the hydrogen blob in the unfiltered output line.

After deconstructing the air filter, I noticed that the remaining pipes were all connected in a T shape, and the air and hydrogen kept flowing in both directions. I then deconstructed the center pipe, and built a new air filter on top of that. After that, it seemed to have resolved the issue and the air was properly being filtered.

I suspect the problem has to do with the game thinking that the pipes are connected "underneath" the filter and it just ignores the filter (even though it was making animations as if it was active).

Steps to Reproduce
Not sure how I managed to create this situation. Maybe build a T shaped pipes junction and build a filter on top of that?

User Feedback

I have noticed that similar behaviour was happening with the liquid and air valves, where the air/liquid kept flowing through them even though they were turned off to 0g/s.

I realised that in the background the pipes were still connected:

image.png.f64138c04387a3464eca431d373ac044.png

I had to explicitly deconstruct the pipes on the tiles and then connect new pipes to the sides only, making sure they don't connect. Only then did the valve work as expected:

image.thumb.png.ed7c7aa7ad7ee09cb7ee87b6f5fc4891.png

I think that when building a valve or filter on top of an existing line, the expected behaviour should be that the underlying pipes are disconnected automatically whenever a connection doesn't make sense, because it breaks the flow and leads to very unexpected behaviour, while appearing to function correctly. There is no reason in my opinion to ever have this connection exist underneath the filter/valve.

Another thing worth noting is that what happens when you build the pipes connected underneath, is that the air/liquid blob passed to the output of the filter, then backs up, then proceeds forward going through the pipe to the vent/output. 

You can observe this when you build the construction as follows:

image.png.3dd42911dead475321d5f54c9a68031b.png

Edited by Ildefonse

Share this comment

Well, it's not a bug. Game can't know your intension. If you build filter over connected pipes or connect it during filter's building that's you mistake. (Or even you maybe wanted to be like that)

So, I suppose you need suggetions forum if you believe players really need "auto-deconstracting"
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/133-oxygen-not-included-suggestions-and-feedback/

Share this comment

Passthrough lines are a part of the way the game works, if the connected equipment can't use the materials it passes on to the next exit, as it were.  This is intentional as the developers did not wish to limit the players creativity as much as possible.

Share this comment

I understand your points of view, but I still think this is a bug. The current way it works is very confusing to new players and creates a ton of unexpected and strange behaviour.

I think therefore that pipes should not be allowed to pass through equipment in this manner. If players want to bypass the filters or valves somehow, they should probably create pipes around it, not through it.

One reason I think this is a bug is because it leads to indeterministic behaviour of the pipes. If you connect a pipe to the exit tile of the filter/valve, and there is another pipe running through it, which of the pipes should it connect to? You can't tell, because they're both on the same tile. So if you're running pipes through the filter or valve and connecting the input and the output to the same pipe, then the valve and filter become completely pointless as it is bypassed.

If you disagree, please show me a valid use case that uses this kind of setup where you can control the outputs correctly and predictably.

Share this comment

On 10/29/2017 at 3:13 AM, Saturnus said:

Just to illustrate. This is how most would build the @Kasuha filter in a practical build. His drawing is stretched it out for clarity as it would otherwise be difficult to see exactly what is going on. (Save file below).

This filter all 6 naturally occurring gases in the game. Technically there's a 7th; steam; but if you have that in your gas pipe system you have bigger problems than needing to sort gases.

gas filter.png

This system uses forced interlace pipeworks combined with the mechanics behind the plumbing used to make passthrough plumbing a useful, usable system and its not the only one just the most complex I can find where it applies, you want what you put to be built any way you want, thus no limits on your creative capacity.

It actively leverages that indeterministic state

Edited by Kabrute

Share this comment

I don't see pipes going from the input of the filter through the filter to the output of the filter, as in my screenshots above. So this is not a valid example of the problem, although a nice and interesting system.

Share this comment