86% wild pacu eggs hatching into 100% wild pacu

AntipodeanPixie
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

My pacu have a fish tank all to themselves, with two feeders. I've observed them eating, receiving the recently ate buff, and moused over the eggs to see how they are going. The eggs inform me that they are 86% tame. The adults die off, the eggs all hatch. Every one of the fry are 100% wild. This has happened over about three generations and two game sessions now, and I've ended up with a tropical morph that is doing the same thing. Every generation snaps back to 100% wild on hatching. I'm about to try culling them all and getting pacus from somewhere else as these were originally ones that came in a care package.

I haven't found anyone else suffering this problem?

Steps to Reproduce

I don't know. I just had pacus in a central pond with accessible food, midway temperature of about 27C water. And a refusal to tame.

User Feedback

This isn't a bug. Eggs don't inherit the "tameness" of their parents except in a binary sense: if the parents were fully tame, the egg is tame. If not, then the egg is wild. There is no "egg is 88% tame because the parent was 88% tame" gradation.

There is a bigger problem (not technically a bug, but probably undesirable gameplay mechanics) where wild pacu that are exclusively fed seeds cannot be successfully tamed. They eat so infrequently that the "taming" buff wears off, and over time, the tameness level rises so slowly that it can't reach 100% before it dies. If you want to successfully tame pacu, you have to feed them algae, and you can switch to seeds after your curated pacu + eggs are 100% tame.

Edited by Xirema
  • Like 1

Share this comment

On 9/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, Xirema said:

Eggs don't inherit the "tameness" of their parents

I'm not sure when this stopped happening. Feeding seeds to pacu, needs at least 20 cycles to tame them so it was impossible to do that on the first generation of pacu. The pacu fry that was produced retained the tameness of the parent. At least that's how it worked when feeding seeds to pacu was first introduced.

Currently it seems that pacu refuse to eat seeds consistently. I'm not sure if it is just "cracked seeds" (because I'm playing on the testing branch) or they just won't eat partial seeds. That sure seems like a bug to me

• Like 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

I'm not sure when this stopped happening. Feeding seeds to pacu, needs at least 20 cycles to tame them so it was impossible to do that on the first generation of pacu. The pacu fry that was produced retained the tameness of the parent. At least that's how it worked when feeding seeds to pacu was first introduced.

Currently it seems that pacu refuse to eat seeds consistently. I'm not sure if it is just "cracked seeds" (because I'm playing on the testing branch) or they just won't eat partial seeds. That sure seems like a bug to me

I don't remember any version of the game where eggs inherited the partial tameness of their parents. I didn't play before the official release of the original game, so maybe something worked that way in beta, but for the last two years, it's been pretty consistent: if the parent is 100% tame, then the egg is 100% tame, and if the parent is any less than 100% tame, then the egg is 0% tame.

There are some outstanding bugs regarding pacu feeding in general, including seeds. Usually saving + reloading the game fixes those issues, I think it's something like a misalignment between the logical position of the pacu feeder and where the pacu understand it to be, and forcing the game to reload seems to resolve those issues. And, obviously, while I don't necessarily think it's a "bug" in the strictest sense, I do think they should change it so that Pacu that eat seeds will keep the "being tamed" buff for longer so that progress doesn't backslide while the pacu aren't hungry.

Edited by Xirema

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Xirema said:

I don't remember any version of the game where eggs inherited the partial tameness of their parents.

Yes, they do inherit their parent's tameness (or more like, a pacu fry doesn't lose tameness while being an egg). I'm not sure if it was introduced when pacu diet changed to include seeds but that's how it works now.

1493294583_pacueggwild.png.7d672e4fdbb90b5146a779ae4cee8723.png 1633421039_pacufrywild.png.7863c0317ca546e3d8e527116f9e2a34.png

• Like 1

Share this comment