Lag - comlexity or duration - or both

Muggins
  • Known Issue

After a few hours of play the game begins to lag. I'm not sure if it's related to the length of time I'm playing or the complexity of the scene.

At first I thought it was my laptop: Macbook Pro 2012 - playing in bootcamp: Windows 7

...but exiting the game and reloading seemed to help for a while.

Steps to Reproduce
Play for 3+ hours
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Not sure if this is the same bug (Windows 10), but I get similar lag after a certain length into the game. There will be lag spikes every second or so where the game micro-freezes, then resumes. It's like a framerate jitter. It appears to be worse when I have in-game menus open, but persists regardless. Zoom level has no affect, so presumably it's not an on-screen complexity issue.

But the issue vanishes when I play in windowed mode. Same resolution but not full-screen and the lag spikes disappear. Game runs perfectly smooth in windowed mode.

Edited by SAMM

Share this comment

Same Problem here

The longer you play or the bigger you guild your base, the slower the game gets.

after Cycle 50+ or so the game slows down graduatually. Even the scrolling isnt really possible, but if you pause the game its OK

PC, which shouldnt be the Problem:

• Win 7
  • I7-2600K
  • Nvidia GTX970
  • SSD
  • 16Gb Ram

Hope you can fix that issue, it really hinders the gameplay

Share this comment

Can confirm. Built two bases with ~50 dupes, the game suffers when there's too much stuff to handle.

I think there's something to do with dupe pathfinding, since the pathfinding tree must be really huge by that point (since most of the map is revealed, with numerous accessible places). Same with order handling (how does the game decide if a given order must be done by that dupe and not another ?)

Perhaps there's something with complex gas and water pipe designs ? How does the game handle branches, does it scale well with big networks ?

Perhaps we can safely rule out the world simulation in general (temperatures, pression, gas movements...), especially if the calculations are done even if the tiles are not explored yet.

I see that the game only uses ~50% of my CPU when I get to that point, so it's not a bottleneck issue on the hardware side I guess.

Share this comment

I've noticed that there is an apparent memory leak as well.  After playing the game for about 2 hours, I noticed the lag and my memory usage.  My system was using 5.9 GB of memory.  After saving my game, restarting the application, and loading my game, I logged my memory at 4.8 GB.  There was no lag upon restart.

My game had 5 dupes.

Share this comment

Same issue here, again it might be complexity. I have quite a large base and game lags most when I am zoomed out. Also when I would try to deconstruct or cancel an order, it would experience lag just as bad. I checked on my Activity Monitor, but none of the resources were even close to being maxed, and I just got the game yesterday. (Jan.8)

-Tamashi

OSX High Sierra

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac11,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    8 MB
  Memory:    20 GB

Edited by Tamashi_Akuma