Crash when loading from main menu Mac OS 11.4

baevar
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Fixed

Game crashes out completely when I try to load the "Continue Last Run" Button from the main menu, but not if I first go to "Play Griftlands" pick my hero Sal, and then "continue existing run."

Steps to Reproduce

Try to load your game save from the main menu. 

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Having the exact same problem on my Mac OS 11.5. It crashes during loads, and midgame after I start up

Share this comment

Hi @Yozabroza and @baevar - does this occur every time for you, regardless of what save you're loading? If it's not every time, could you attach a copy of a .sav file that exhibits the crash? Instructions for finding your .sav are in the link below - thanks for the report!

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044520732-Logs-and-Useful-Information-for-Bug-Reports-for-Griftlands-Early-Access-

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, fatheroctopus said:

Hi @Yozabroza and @baevar - does this occur every time for you, regardless of what save you're loading? If it's not every time, could you attach a copy of a .sav file that exhibits the crash? Instructions for finding your .sav are in the link below - thanks for the report!

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044520732-Logs-and-Useful-Information-for-Bug-Reports-for-Griftlands-Early-Access-

Here ya go!

It does occur every time, although just the other day it loaded and ran for 20 secs then crashed in game

slot_SAL_1622938515 slot_SAL_1622947997 slot_SAL_1622949930

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi @Yozabroza, just a quick update - the bug appears to be hardware dependent and I've had trouble reproducing on my own devices. This is substantiated by the bug report you attached, which shows the error occurring in a graphics driver library. We're currently relying on some static analysis tools to try to identify the bug - when a candidate fix is released I'll be sure to update this thread to see if it fixed things on your end.

Thanks for your patience! 

• Like 1

Share this comment

@Yozabroza There are a few tests that could provide some useful info:

Assuming that continuing from a given save always crashes for you, does it crash...

1) ...when the steam overlay is disabled? (Right Click on Griftlands in library -> General -> Uncheck "Enabled the Steam Overlay while in-game")

2) ...in both full-screen and windowed mode? (Accessed via "Graphics" tab in the in-game settings)

3) ..at a different resolution from your default settings?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

20 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:

@Yozabroza There are a few tests that could provide some useful info:

Assuming that continuing from a given save always crashes for you, does it crash...

1) ...when the steam overlay is disabled? (Right Click on Griftlands in library -> General -> Uncheck "Enabled the Steam Overlay while in-game")

2) ...in both full-screen and windowed mode? (Accessed via "Graphics" tab in the in-game settings)

3) ..at a different resolution from your default settings?

Thanks!

ok so good news. Lowering my resolution worked and im able to play the game uninhibited without it crashing! The other methods 1 & 2 still resulted in a crash

Share this comment

Great! - and also very interesting. We have managed to reproduce this error on a machine on our end, so we'll keep plugging away at getting it working at native resolution.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:

Great! - and also very interesting. We have managed to reproduce this error on a machine on our end, so we'll keep plugging away at getting it working at native resolution.

Unfortunately I spoke to soon. The game does work for longer increments but still crashes on 720. Do you need any other save files or anything?

Share this comment

Ok, I'm not surprised that it still crashes, as lowering resolution probably changes some timings and memory usage, but doesn't address the core problem. Since we can now repro this reliably, no more information is needed - thanks for your help, I'll update this thread when we learn more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi, we have an update on this - the issue is caused by an interaction between a specific driver for some Macbook GPUs and our mipmap textures.

We will add an optional launch parameter that allows users to disable mipmaps.
This workaround will go live next week, but if you want to try it out before then, you can switch to our "experimental" beta branch on steam.

Once on the experimental branch, to enable the workaround:
1) Find "Launch Options" by context-clicking on Griftlands in the steam library -> Properties -> General
2) Add

--nomipmaps

to the "Launch Options" field.

This will degrade texture quality in some instances, but should avoid this crash. Let us know how that works out for you, or feel free to wait until next week to try it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Just a heads-up that the --nomipmaps workaround mentioned above is now in the live build. Let us know if this doesn't address the crash - Thanks!

Share this comment