The game crashes while saving

arthurwan
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

My game is slow to load the save slot and when i save or when the game saves automatically, it crashes.

It happens just with my computer, with others this does not happen. Can this be the memory of my computer?

My computer has 2GB RAM.

Steps to Reproduce
1. I enter the game; 2. I enter the save slot; 3. It takes to long to load; 4. I play it normally; 5. When the night ends, the game will save; 6. The game crashes; 7. the game closes and do not save. It happens just with my computer, with others this does not happen.

User Feedback

Hello @arthurwan, welcome to the forums. If we look at the game requirements from the Steam Store Page, 2GB of ram is a little more than minimum requirements. But you also have to consider that this is EA and the game is still undergoing a lot of optimization.

Are you using mods? Using a lot of mods could also be causing memory issues. If you are going to use mods, be a little more picky with which. Some mods requires more out of your PC than just what the base game would.

Also, could you attach a copy of your log.txt files and backup_log.txt file found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve, that should shed some more light on why its crashing. Simply drag drop the file into the edit text box that appears when you make a reply.

Here's some methods you could try to improve performance hopefully: Klei Support Article: Don't Starve

Share this comment

7 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @arthurwan, welcome to the forums. If we look at the game requirements from the Steam Store Page, 2GB of ram is a little more than minimum requirements. But you also have to consider that this is EA and the game is still undergoing a lot of optimization.

Are you using mods? Using a lot of mods could also be causing memory issues. If you are going to use mods, be a little more picky with which. Some mods requires more out of your PC than just what the base game would.

Also, could you attach a copy of your log.txt files and backup_log.txt file found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve, that should shed some more light on why its crashing. Simply drag drop the file into the edit text box that appears when you make a reply.

Here's some methods you could try to improve performance hopefully: Klei Support Article: Don't Starve

I don't have video card.

Can be it?

Share this comment

@arthurwan That could be it, on the DLC store page, it says at least "256 MB or higher" graphics card specs. Even if you don't have a video card installed, it should have an integrated graphics processing unit that utilizes a portion of your installed ram.

Could you generate a dxdiag.txt and attach it? It's likely though that your PC set up can not run the game and sadly I don't know of any ways to help make the game work on your system.

Share this comment

But the others DLCs work normally, just the Hamlet DLC don't works normally.

my rating from 0 to 100 is:

Don't Starve: 100

Reign of Giants: 80

Shipwrecked: 60

Hamlet: 40

Why does it happen?

And there's a sticker on my PC saying "FEATURING RADEON GRAPHICS" and "AMD".

Note: I'm using a LapTop.

11 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@arthurwan That could be it, on the DLC store page, it says at least "256 MB or higher" graphics card specs. Even if you don't have a video card installed, it should have an integrated graphics processing unit that utilizes a portion of your installed ram.

Could you generate a dxdiag.txt and attach it? It's likely though that your PC set up can not run the game and sadly I don't know of any ways to help make the game work on your system.

But the others DLCs work normally, just the Hamlet DLC don't works normally.

my rating from 0 to 100 is:

Don't Starve: 100

Reign of Giants: 80

Shipwrecked: 60

Hamlet: 40

Why does it happen?

And there's a sticker on my PC saying "FEATURING RADEON GRAPHICS" and "AMD".

Note: I'm using a LapTop.

dxdiag.txt

DxDiag.txt

Note: 1. I am Brazilian and Brazil is going through a crisis and my family is not able to buy a video card.

2. I don't know what dxdiag.exe is, but I searched the internet, and found this document in the last comment.

3. I'm using Google Translator to talk to you.

Share this comment

@arthurwan based on your dxdiag, you do have a graphics card called "AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics". Can you attach a copy of the log.txt and backup_log.txt file found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve. Drag/drop files directly into text box when you make a reply.

Share this comment

14 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@arthurwan based on your dxdiag, you do have a graphics card called "AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics". Can you attach a copy of the log.txt and backup_log.txt file found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve. Drag/drop files directly into text box when you make a reply.

That's what I found by searching in Klei Support for log.txt and backup_log.txt.

log.txt

Share this comment

@arthurwan seems like you are still subscribed to a non-existent mod. See log file search for:

[00:05:22]: SteamModWorkshop::OnError: DownloadPublishedFile attempted to download non-existent mod.

I recommend the following:

• Close Don't Starve
  • Go to Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods
  • Delete all mod folders called workshop-###
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Go to Mods Screen
  • Let game reupdate for all your mods
  • Start up new world

If it still fails on saving during second day, disable the mod called Take Your Time Redux. I reckon it's that mod that is causing issues because it is not updated yet for Hamlet.

I hope that helps, cheers.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@arthurwan seems like you are still subscribed to a non-existent mod. See log file search for:

[00:05:22]: SteamModWorkshop::OnError: DownloadPublishedFile attempted to download non-existent mod.

• Close Don't Starve
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Go to Mods Screen
  • Start up new world

If it still fails on saving during second day, disable the mod called Take Your Time Redux. I reckon it's that mod that is causing issues because it is not updated yet for Hamlet.

I do not know where to search Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ mods.

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Zillvr said:

• Close Don't Starve
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Go to Mods Screen
  • Start up new world

I uninstalled all the mods, but still keeps happening, I got one day but in the other it crashed.

log.txt

Share this comment

@arthurwan Seems like there are still some leftovers of mod information.

• On Steam Workshop, click Browse then click Subscribed Items
  • Keep note of all the mods you have subscribed to (take screenshots for future reference)
  • Unsubscribe to all of them
  • Go to Steam Games Library, right click Don't Starve
  • Click Properties
  • Click Local Files
  • Click Verify Integrity of the Game Files
  • Let Steam validate game files
  • Check if C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods no longer has workshop-### mods
  • If it isn't empty, remove/delete any other mod files from there that you may have gotten from Klei Downloads
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Open mods screen/page
  • If empty, ok
  • Start new world
  • Use console to go to the next day already and speed up the time, click the tilde sign "~"
  • Enter the following command:
LongUpdate(1*TUNING.TOTAL_DAY_TIME)
  • If crash when saving starts, attach another copy of your log.txt file

Share this comment

39 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

• Keep note of all the mods you have subscribed to (take screenshots for future reference)
  • Click Properties
  • Click Local Files
  • Check if C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods no longer has workshop-### mods
  • If it isn't empty, remove/delete any other mod files from there that you may have gotten from Klei Downloads
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Open mods screen/page
  • If empty, ok
  • Start new world
  • Use console to go to the next day already and speed up the time, click the tilde sign "~"

I don

40 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

• Click Properties
  • Click Local Files
  • Open Don't Starve
  • Open mods screen/page
  • If empty, ok
  • Start new world

I don't know where to find C: / Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / dont_starve /.

Share this comment

In your PC files. On windows, open File Explorer. Open Drive C > Then Open Program Files > Then Open Steam Folder > Then Open steamapps folder > Then Open common folder > then open dont_starve folder > Then open mods folder. 

OR

• Click Properties
  • Click Local Files
  • Click Browse Local Files
  • Open mods folder

Share this comment

19 hours ago, Zillvr said:

In your PC files. On windows, open File Explorer. Open Drive C > Then Open Program Files > Then Open Steam Folder > Then Open steamapps folder > Then Open common folder > then open dont_starve folder > Then open mods folder. 

OR

• Click Properties
  • Click Local Files
  • Click Browse Local Files
  • Open mods folder

This did not work, and the console command only went to the next day.

log.txt

backup_log.txt

Share this comment

@arthurwan the command I gave was to make it quickly to the next day, so you can get to the automatic save part much faster. So when the game did it saving again, it crashed. Correct?

If taking all mods off didn't help with performance. This would be the last method I can suggest:

• In main menu, click options
  • Click Settings
  • Enable Small Textures
  • Enable Netbook Mode
  • Click Apply
  • Click Accept

This would hopefully reduce the amount of memory used by the game to perform ok. There is a large memory usage spike when the game saves, which is probably what's crashing your game to crash. Since you just have barely enough memory just to run the game, it seems that it is unfortunately not enough when the game saves.

Try small textures enabled and Netbook mode enabled.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment