"Steam must be running" launched from Steam window

Carnaxus
  • Closed

Soooo...odd one for ya here.  I decided to do a short screencap, which I've attached to this post.  Closing Steam and then running it as admin fixed the issue, but the fact remains that it happened in the first place, and, unbelievable as it may be, there are gamers out there in this world who do not know how to run a program as admin, or don't have an administrative account (underage, shared computer, etc.) and so can't run it as admin.

...I was a bit of a stooge and forgot to take a copy of the client log before starting the game post-Steam-as-admin, and it's now been overwritten with a log of the game working perfectly.  Sorry.

2017-04-22 22-40-12.mp4

Steps to Reproduce
I had just finished installing the game, and tried to run it; the issue happened immediately.

User Feedback

I have the same problem. Well, I don't know how to run Steam as admin... so, uhh...

I just copy/paste my message I left on Reddit:
I haven't played DST for some time, and yesterday when I wanted to start it an error window popped up with the following message:
Fatal Error
Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed).

I trying to open the game from Steam, so duh, it's running.
I closed steam, then restarted. Steam updated something. Still can't open the game.
I did verify the integrety of my gamecache. Didn't help.
I can open and play any other game from Steam without a problem.

Also, I re-installed DXSetup and VCRedist. Didn't help, so I re-installed the whole game, and still don't start.
Someone help me please?

• Like 1

Share this comment

To run Steam as admin, quit Steam, then right-click on whatever shortcut you use to launch it and click "Run as Administrator."  If you're on Windows 10, it might be under a menu called "More."

Share this comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

My anti-virus put the whole game in the quarantine, didn't even give me notification about it. I had to unlock it TWICE, but now it's running again.

Still don't know why it happened, I have COMODO, if this useful information. It never did that before.

Share this comment

If by AV you mean anti-virus, then it's called COMODO. It's quite good for a free anti-virus, and I never had a problem like this with it before.

Share this comment