second user unable to host!

Leo11
  • Pending

I created second user and installed dst on both first admin then 2nd user and if I try to host game I 2nd it says "launching" if I try to admin create it says generating connecting and then I can host! I want to host on 2nd cause I am not admin and not always have ability to use admin user. tell me what to do please. I don't want to reinstall yet until I know I can host at least as admin.

Steps to Reproduce
I read guide to create dedicated server on Mac

User Feedback

Hello @Leo11, welcome to the forums. I do not use Mac so I can't guide you through the specific details. But just based on what you said, are you trying to Host and then play the game with two different users on the same Mac WITH the same Steam account?

You need to have two steam accounts if you want to play the game with another person. You can't run two instances of the same game from the same steam account on the same device.

However, IF you are only trying to host through a dedicated server on the Admin account of your MAC, you only need to run the dedicated server and just connect to it through DST's Browse Games and it should be under the LAN tab in the same admin MAC account.

If you are planning to just play alone on a server, instead of hosting via a dedicated server you can just use the Host Game of DST. 

Dedicated servers are only necessary if you wish to keep the server up and running for other people without you having to be active on the steam account and hosting the game through the Host Game feature. If you have a dedicated server up and running, OTHER players (with their own accounts) can join regardless of whether you can play or not.

So if you just need the server to be up when you play, use the Host Game feature instead.

Edited by Zillvr
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Zillvr, i think you misunderstood me. Iwant to host 6 player nondedicated server on user 2 i am not Mac admin do iwant to use dst any time. If you can answer this question: If i delete Mac admin dst and reinstal 2nd user dst, will i be able to host on 2nd Mac user or no? I wat to be able to host at least on Mac admin. 

7 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @Leo11, welcome to the forums. I do not use Mac so I can't guide you through the specific details. But just based on what you said, are you trying to Host and then play the game with two different users on the same Mac WITH the same Steam account?

You need to have two steam accounts if you want to play the game with another person. You can't run two instances of the same game from the same steam account on the same device.

However, IF you are only trying to host through a dedicated server on the Admin account of your MAC, you only need to run the dedicated server and just connect to it through DST's Browse Games and it should be under the LAN tab in the same admin MAC account.

If you are planning to just play alone on a server, instead of hosting via a dedicated server you can just use the Host Game of DST. 

Dedicated servers are only necessary if you wish to keep the server up and running for other people without you having to be active on the steam account and hosting the game through the Host Game feature. If you have a dedicated server up and running, OTHER players (with their own accounts) can join regardless of whether you can play or not.

So if you just need the server to be up when you play, use the Host Game feature instead.

Zillvr, i think you misunderstood me. Iwant to host 6 player nondedicated server on user 2 i am not Mac admin do iwant to use dst any time. If you can answer this question: If i delete Mac admin dst and reinstal 2nd user dst, will i be able to host on 2nd Mac user or no? I wat to be able to host at least on Mac admin. 

Share this comment

@Leo11 I think I understand now. Sorry for the minsunderstanding.

I think the issue is that your User 2 account on the MAC doesn't have the permissions to read/write to the default save directory of Steam for DST (which is needed to launch a nondedicated server). While your Admin has the needed permissions, which is why ONLY the Admin account can host and launch server without issue.

What you need to do is the Admin account has to give User 2 admin permissions. I do not know if the following method applies but it should help:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25796?locale=en_US

Or look for the correct method to use for your MacOS version for the following "Give user admin access permission".

Sorry again for the confusion, I thought you were attempting to play DST with two instances using the same steam account.

Edited by Zillvr

Share this comment

On 16.08.2019 at 7:37 AM, Zillvr said:

@Leo11 I think I understand now. Sorry for the minsunderstanding.

I think the issue is that your User 2 account on the MAC doesn't have the permissions to read/write to the default save directory of Steam for DST (which is needed to launch a nondedicated server). While your Admin has the needed permissions, which is why ONLY the Admin account can host and launch server without issue.

What you need to do is the Admin account has to give User 2 admin permissions. I do not know if the following method applies but it should help:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25796?locale=en_US

Or look for the correct method to use for your MacOS version for the following "Give user admin access permission".

Sorry again for the confusion, I thought you were attempting to play DST with two instances using the same steam account.

I will try that

thanks

Share this comment