Ps3 Controller bug on Mac osx

jicabyte
  • Pending

Hey I've recently formatted my mac with osx sierra and tried to play don't starve together like i used to before the formatting but in game my ps3 controller (the same i used before) assumes that i'm always pressing right with my right joystick, so it is impossible to play and use the inventory in game. I've tried another games and another ps3 controller to see if something was broke on the controller, but this is a bug only applied to don't starve together no matter what controller i use. I tried everything in preferences of steam and dst and also re-installed both of the apps. Does anyone knows what to do to fix this? Thanks

Steps to Reproduce
re format mac osx with same os and re installed steam and dst

User Feedback

3 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hi, could you try if this works for you?

Nope still the same, controller keeps spaming right with the right joystick

Share this comment

32 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

I'm gonna have to dig up a PS3 controller to investigate. Do you connect via USB?

yup! the only method i discovered that works is to use a windows pc to stream the game, and it recognises the wireless ps3 controller on mac as a xbox controller in game, otherwise only as an generic controller that has the bug. Is this last feature the issue, perhaps?

Share this comment

No, I don't think so. Some stuff on OSX had to be rewired to support Catalina, joystick control is experiencing some side effects from that. Since the PC version didn't get rewired I guess it's just relayed to that PC and it sees it as what it always saw it.

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

No, I don't think so. Some stuff on OSX had to be rewired to support Catalina, joystick control is experiencing some side effects from that. Since the PC version didn't get rewired I guess it's just relayed to that PC and it sees it as what it always saw it.

Well, Apple seems to not having a clue on what is doing about product quality in the last few years... so i understand your position. Could i ask you to notify me when you guys fix this bug :) Thanks for everything

Share this comment

Just now, bizziboi said:

I will, but I'll have to investigate so I can't promise a timeframe.

;) Sure thing! Thanks

Share this comment

This should be fixed in the next update, although you may have to repeat the steps outlined below after the update comes out.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I'm experiencing the same issues. The controller was working flawlessly last week, then stopped working entirely over the weekend. Today, it's closer to working with the force off suggestion above. I can navigate through the DST menus and start a game. However, it appears that something is repeatedly selecting while in the game browser. Once the game starts, I can move around, but I can't select items in my inventory. The right joystick seems to be controlling the mouse pointer, and the left directional buttons don't work. The mouse doesn't control the mouse pointer.

Should I just break down and buy a PS4 controller or will the patch be out soon?

• Like 1

Share this comment

It should come out soon, and it should hopefully fix your issues.

Buying a PS4 controller for this specific issue wouldn't really improve things, all controllers have similar issues, albeit with variations.

Edit - I misspoke, PS4 would work, but the fix should be out soon.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@jicabyte @figushki

Today's update should fix it.

Because your controller mapping may be really crazy (it needed some serious rewiring under the hood), and because deleting those files is cumbersome at best I added a console command. So if you launch the game, open the debug console and enter

ResetControllersAndQuitGame()

...followed by enter, it should clear the data it needs to clear and close the game (as the game needs a restart for it to take effect). Hopefully on next launch it'll detect your joystick and hopefully it'll work properly.

Let me know if there's issues.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 07/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, bizziboi said:

@jicabyte @figushki

Today's update should fix it.

Because your controller mapping may be really crazy (it needed some serious rewiring under the hood), and because deleting those files is cumbersome at best I added a console command. So if you launch the game, open the debug console and enter

ResetControllersAndQuitGame()

...followed by enter, it should clear the data it needs to clear and close the game (as the game needs a restart for it to take effect). Hopefully on next launch it'll detect your joystick and hopefully it'll work properly.

Let me know if there's issues.

@bizziboi Thank you very much ;D the controller works perfectly! In-Game it recognises as a PS4 controller but I suppose it is meant to do that, although I've a PS3 controller connected ;)! Thanks again anyway, it is and always will be a great pleasure to play the game again! 

• Like 1

Share this comment

Glad to hear that. Yeah, I opted to show it as PS4 controller, because I figured it was more practical than 'generic controller'

• Thanks 2

Share this comment