Possible Malbatross feather loot oddness?

Faintly Macabre
  • Pending

So I've killed Malbatross a few times now and every time I get exactly 24 feathers. The wiki (which I know can be wrong) seemed to say that I should be getting more than that, so I decided to investigate.

Throughout an encounter, Malbatross can drop up to 24 feathers from being attacked. These feathers are tracked, so that when Malbatross dies, the feathers that dropped during the encounter will be subtracted from the death loot.

In addition to this, 3-5 more feathers can potentially drop when Malbatross dies. But you'll only get additional feathers on top of the 24 feathers in one specific circumstance: Malbatross must drop most or all of its 24 attack-spawned feathers before it dies. This is because the the 3-5 feathers are all dropped before the 24 feathers using the same function (spawnfeather()), which always tracks each feather dropped. Because of this, when the death routine goes to drop the 24 attack-spawned feathers, the counter will always be reduced by those additional 3-5 feathers.

It's possible that this is intended, but it seems like bizarre behavior. It almost punishes efficiency in killing the Malbatross, because the fewer hits it takes you to kill it, the less loot you'll get. For example, if you do all your damage using a dark sword (with no modifiers), you'll have an average of 15 feathers drop during the fight, which means you'll rarely ever get more than 24 feathers after the whole encounter is said and done.

Steps to Reproduce

Kill a Malbatross with a reasonably powerful weapon and get only 24 feathers the overwhelming majority of the time.

User Feedback