Only save file not working

Pierowinsforeve
  • Fixed

When i try to start a game on this game file of DST this issue come out after the loading screen.

The server is online, i play with gf only the 2 of us.
This warning come out only here, other saves works fine, with and without mods. I can even join other people games.

If i click anywhere the game freeze and crash, only exit and report issue works.

In one of my attempts i saw the notification of my character death (frozen). I exit the game, joined and the game worked, as soon i come back to life (life amulet close to me) and exit the game, got the same error again and never worked again.

I can give other info if needed but i wrote almost everything here.
Hope to get some help, was a 500+ days save full of stuff :(

image.thumb.png.dbae22a3478fdc689e6831f608b770f5.png

dst bug.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

Open game

Host Game

(loading screen)

Issue described

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

update: the game somehow keeps running even if i am locked on that screen! I was here writing the issue, closed the game and found out that my character was dead and the world had reset! Luckily i had made a backup of the DoNotStarveTogether folder and the save file was still there.

This is the client log of the backup folder, the issue is the same as described.

client_log.txt

Edited by Pierowinsforeve

Share this comment

This is interesting, I had yet to see a report of this that didn't have mods active, until now... I'll try and see if I can get this fixed. In the meantime, can you tell me: if the game crashes when creating a new save also? or only loading this specific save?

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

@zarklord_klei Repro:

Step 1) Enter Caves

Step 2) Put dust_meringue in inventory

Step 3) Disconnect

Next time you join, "onputininventory" event gets pushed eventually leading to RPC sent to client before "setowner"/ThePlayer initialization, so the player crashes.

Edited by penguin0616
  • Like 1

Share this comment

I just tried to create a new save and it worked fine. Everything works fine except that specific save.

Penguin0616 talks about dust_meringue (and other stuff that i don't understand) but could be usefull saying that the last thing i did in that save file before turning off was going in the caves, learning the blueprint of collected dust, going back to base, use a collected dust to cook amberosia, quit. 

Could be something amberosia-related? 

And anyway the game keeps going even if i am locked in the screen shown before: if i wait 15 minutes in real life, my character dies and the world reset.

Edited by Pierowinsforeve

Share this comment

@Pierowinsforeve Basically, if you disconnect from the caves while having Amberosia in your inventory, you'll crash every time you join because it tries to do stuff while you haven't fully loaded in.

The reason the server keeps running is that your CLIENT crashes, but the SERVER doesn't crash. So it keeps going, while you're stuck in oblivion.

Edited by penguin0616

Share this comment

22 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

@Pierowinsforeve Basically, if you disconnect from the caves while having Amberosia in your inventory, you'll crash every time you join because it tries to do stuff while you haven't fully loaded in.

The reason the server keeps running is that your CLIENT crashes, but the SERVER doesn't crash. So it keeps going, while you're stuck in oblivion.

Sooo...is there anything I can do? 

Share this comment

@Pierowinsforeve If you made a backup of your save, you can use that.

If your world has not reset, you can try doing a rollback.

If your world has reset, and you do not have a backup, you are out of luck.

• Sad 1

Share this comment

Ok this is how i "solved", in case someone will get my same error before future updates:

Like I said the world was still going on, penguin0616 understood that my CLIENT crashed, but the SERVER didn't, so my character would die and i couldn't do anything, because stuck on the error screen. And the error came because of Amberosia in my inventory slot.

I solved in this way:

1. While i was stuck on the error screen my friend joined my game and found my character there, slowly dying (everything for him was working).
  2. When I died all my inventory went on the floor, Amberosia too.
  3. I closed the game, joined again, and because of NO Amberosia in my pockets the game save was working.
  4. I was a ghost, resurrected with life amulet, took amberosia back and tried to go in caves to bring it there, the game went again in error like first post.
  5. I loaded the previous backup, went back to step 1-3 but this time i only left Amberosia in a box near camp, with a sign to never close the game with that item in the inventory again (till eventualy fix in future updates).

Now the game is working fine, i tried to close and join again several times, with no issues.

Share this comment