LAN only doesn't work and game thinks we are on different Local Networks

karloVELIKI
  • Pending

Hello,
Since the new update, my girfriend and I were unable to resume our word on LAN. Game cannot find the server on LAN or Public list. We are definetly connected on the same network and I don't know how to fix this problem. We enjoy Don't Starve Together very much and we were looking foward to a new update. It would be sad if we had to start over again because we built the most awesome base and had great times on our world. My girfriend and I work whole day monday to sunday and we like to spend few hours before our sleep playing this awesome game. Can somebody help us? I really have no idea how to fix this. I don't know if we are doing something wrong or is it the game's fault.

We tried to play it through Steam Invite but it didn't work. Game displayed the message of similar type: "You cannot play this game, you need to be on same local network."

Sorry for bad grammar and lack of pictures and log reports, I am new at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, your biggest fans from Croatia,
Laura and Karlo

Steps to Reproduce

As usual my girlfriend's computer is a game host. As always she launches the server Local Only.

I (client) find it in Browse games under "LAN" section.

Since the update server doesn't appear.

We tried the Steam Invite method. She invited me, I joined directly from Steam app.

Game launched, said it has mods (we play with mods) and then displays a message "You are not on the same Local network". We definetly are. 

Game and computer restarts don't fix the problem. 

Troubleshooting network don't fix the problem. (Because there is no network problem)

Hopefully you understand the problem.
Thank you in advance!

User Feedback

Same here, since the update she can't connect to me (and we tried in other games, and it works just fine).

I tried with the settings LAN, Friends only, Public...none worked.

When in LAN it appears "this server only allows players from the same local network." Which of course isn't true, cause we ARE.

When trying with friends or public, it doesn't appear in servers list but forcing it gives the "not responding" error.

Tried also reinstalling everything from scratch. Did not work.

Some help, please?

• Like 1

Share this comment

Same here!
Offline mode we can see each other, but as we swich online, nothing...
Wating for the solution..

• Like 1

Share this comment

我也遇到了局域网搜不到服务器的问题,希望官方可以尽快修复,因为很影响游戏体验

• Like 1

Share this comment

@JDaves 
can you tell me more about this offline mod and does it work when playing in two? i'm new so...
Thanks!

@Mikedrek55
Public worked for me for about a day. Today it didn't. I also tried thru steam invites (or join game from steam chat), didn't work. I see lot of people complaining about this problem so developers should fix it sometime soon I hope.
Thanks for the reply and if I find any solution I will let you know. :)

Edited by karloVELIKI
Grammar and adressing error

Share this comment

It's simple! When running the game, a loading screen shows up, where you can click on "Play Offline". In that case, you can only choose from LAN servers, and the clothes and gifts are not available.

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Heya, I'm trying to track down the cause of this issue, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. What operating systems are you and your girlfriend using? Windows I assume?

I'm assuming that you're trying to do a client hosted world, by launching Don't Starve Together?

Is it a Local Only server? 
Is it an online or offline server?
Do you have caves enabled?

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I'm sorry if I'm talking out of place.

In MY case (not in the one that created the threat in the first place; he was faster) we are both Windows 10. Running 64 bit with caves with an Online server, local hosted world. The option l always choose is "Local Only". 

But does not care if is local, friends only or public; she can't get in.

l hope I'm not speaking out of turn, cause karloVELIKI's who posted, but if there's a chance the 2 issues are similar but with different solutions, l'd like to be all scenarios considered.

Thanks in advance and sorry if l did wrong.

Share this comment

@PeterA 
Host: Windows 11
Me: Windows 7

Local Only Server
Caves enabled.

I can't see or can't connect to the hosts server in LAN Only list. Public or Friends only doesn't work for me. 
Thanks in advance!

Share this comment

8 hours ago, karloVELIKI said:

I can't see or can't connect to the hosts server in LAN Only list. Public or Friends only doesn't work for me. 

The team has been trying to reproduce this issue across a bunch of different machines and networks and we haven't had any luck yet. We're starting to think this might be an issue with your local setup. Can you try running both games as administrator? This post can help with that 

Often we've seen a game update cause anti virus/spyware software to falsely target our game because the executable changed during the update. So it might be worth trying again without any of those programs running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi!

In our case it doesn't care the firewall or antivirus, still not working even as administrator.

Yesterday we noticed if we put HER pc (same configuration as me) in public or "friends only" l can go in.

Network is fine and we reach each other, also no weird configuration. Antivirus and firewall disabled.

Share this comment

On 2022/4/1 at AM4点39分, PeterA said:

嘿,我正在尝试追查此问题的原因,但我还无法重现它。你和你的女朋友使用什么操作系统?我假设的Windows?

我假设您正在尝试通过启动多人版饥荒来创建一个客户端托管的世界?

它是仅限本地服务器吗? 
它是在线服务器还是离线服务器?
你启用了洞穴吗?

谢谢!

还有人遇到了同样的问题,我相信这不是个例,也不是我们设置或者电脑防火墙以及权限的问题,我们的共同点都是03.25更新前都可以正常的在局域网联机进行游戏,更新之后才出现的异常,希望官方可以再尝试修复BUG,因为这很影响游戏体验。

Share this comment

I have the same problem on windows 10 tho. I have DST in exceptions in my antivirus (Norton) I run the game as administrator but nothing helps. Making the server online, friends only or public works but we really want to play through LAN.

Share this comment

Yes, as people say in this threat, l don't think it's a problem with our configuration (even tho, l assume everyone say that), but in my case we were playing normally the day of the update, BEFORE it was released, and everything was working as neat as ever.

Then, after playing, we noticed Steam was updating the game, l started reading a bit about the changes (inventory, etc).

Next day, nothing changed, we started our computers specifically to play DST and there it was, no connection.

What was new? The update. Sorry to hear there are some issues reproducing the bug, that'll be an inconvenience.

Looking forward to hearing from you, guys, and thanks in advance. 

Share this comment

我今天突然发现可以使用直连代码连接,我之前一直使用的的是c_connect("IP",10888,"密码"),一直不能连接;今天我突然发现使用c_connect("IP",10999,"密码")是可以成功连接的,尽管我依然不能再局域网服务器搜索列表中搜到我的服务器。并且我通过游戏中退格键打开详细,查看延迟确实是局域网本地连接的,ping值只有1-2。之前因为局域网搜不到,我和我爱人只能在广域网上通过搜索我的服务器名字进入一起游戏,游戏内的ping值有10-30左右,显然不是局域网本地连接的。楼主可以先试试这个方法。等待官方修复局域网搜索不到服务器的BUG。

Edited by zifeiyu

Share this comment

Hi, is there any update or progress for this? It's been days since the last answer we had and the issue is still there.

Share this comment

Please, it's been over a month.

I know you guys are busy and this new update has been a challenge, but we can't even try it in this situation.

Give us a clue at least of the status you are on the solution, this threat seems forgotten.

Thank you 

Share this comment