Game is no longer launching

Darkcircus-Void
  • Closed

This issue just happened today and I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue when trying to open up DST. DST was fine up until this point and its...really strange. When trying to launch the game, for some reason the window for the game will not appear but on steam, it does indicate that the game is active and running. When checking my task manager, it shows the game is there but its disabled?? I have tried all the steps on the support page for the crashes (except for uninstalling because i'm afraid to lose my saves) on trying to fix the issue but nothing has seem to work :( I have no clue what could be the cause of this and wondered if this was effecting others too but if there is another way to fix it, please inform me so i can be able to fix it. 

Steps to Reproduce

I tired to launch DST but the window for it would not appear, i thought perhaps steam was glitching so i tried my other games, but it appears that they all function just fine. The game was working yesterday (except for the strange audio glitches and lags, but i took it as perhaps those were the mods and the overload of things in the world) but for some reason it stopped working today. I tried restarting my computer because maybe it was a glitch but nothing has changed and as mentioned from the issue report; I have tried all the steps from the support page. :(

User Feedback

I'm having a semi similar issue, I discovered it some time last week, my game will open, just be a black screen, steam says its running and then it closes as if I quit. I tried literally everything but they haven't gotten back yet :/

Share this comment

@Darkcircus-Void Have you tried restarting your computer in case that resolves the issue? If the issue persists, do you hear any in-game sounds when you run into this? Is the game listed in Task Manager still, and if so, do you see any icons on your Windows taskbar in the bottom of the screen with the Don't Starve Together icon? 

Also could you both please provide your DxDiag.txt and client_log.txt after running into the issue? Here's how to get find and generate these files: https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029881191

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@GhostAstronaut This is defiantly strange! I wonder what could be the cause of making the game no longer work for us...:( 

@JanH Thank you for the reply! I have tried but unfortunately nothing has changed with the restarting :( There isn't any sounds to indicate that its active but the game does show up on the task manager when i look inside the steam client tab, there is no icon though on anywhere else but the one area. It says its running but in the details for DST in the task manager says its disabled.

Here's the one file, i'll send the other in a sec.

DxDiag.txt

@JanH Ah...Unfortunately, i cannot send the client_log/txt through here due to it being bigger than the required file size, would it be okay if i send it through google drive?

Edited by Darkcircus-Void

Share this comment

Please feel free to provide a google drive link with the client_log.txt file. Please ensure that the file is marked a shareable, so that we can access it. 

Share this comment

Unfortunately the log file size is so large that it is crashing all programs being used to try and open it. That said, based on your description of what is happening, there seems to be something that is conflicting with the game's initialization process. Please try the following troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this:

1. Please ensure that you have full administrative permissions on your Windows User Account for both the Steam Client as well as for running Don't Starve Together: 
    Windows 7 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14028/windows-7-how-log-on-as-an-administrator
    Windows 10 - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-if-your-windows-10-account-is-administrator/

2. Please ensure that your Windows operating system has been updated to the latest version: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4027667/windows-10-update

3. Try uninstalling, then re-installing the game on Steam. Save files are located away from your install files and they will not be affected.

4. You will also want to check that certain programs are not running in the background that may interfere with Steam or with Don't Starve Together: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289 

5. Please ensure that your firewall, anti-virus, security software or settings have been made to allow Don’t Starve Together to be launched/initialized. You may have to add Don't Starve Together's .exe to your security software's allowed/trusted list.

Should the issue persist after following the steps above, You may also want to check with Microsoft Support if Task Manager is indicating that your game is "disabled". 

• Thanks 2

Share this comment

@JanH It finally works!!! I have done all the things you recommended and it seem to do the trick(Also that's relief to know that my saves remained unaffected after the uninstalling the game- Imma keep that as note for next time)! Thank you so much for all your help! ;;;w;;; 

• Like 1

Share this comment

Mine finally started working as well! I didn't do any of the steps above however. I have McAfee on my computer and even though I disabled it and turned it off while trying to play it FINALLY gave me a notification saying Don’t Starve Together came across as Ransomware.. finally gave me an option to disable the block and it finally loaded. What a huge mess this was hahaha 

Share this comment