[Fourth time reporting] Crabby Hermit won't recognize completed tasks

mr. brj
  • Pending

Crabby Hermit will fail to recognize completed tasks if one of these two conditions is present:

1) The player gives a heavy fish to the Crabby Hermit when it is not day time.

2) The player completes multiple tasks without being near the Crabby Hermit and the Crabby Hermit's friendship level reaches to a point that triggers either an additional dialogue and/or an upgrade to her shop.

Steps to Reproduce

Trade heavy fish with Pearl when it is not day time or complete multiple tasks without ever talking to Pearl.

User Feedback

2 hours ago, SleeplessRat said:

what do you mean by "won't recognize completed tasks"

THANK YOU for the reply. I have been feeling like I was talking into the void regarding this issue.

I think explaining with examples will be the best, but basically I mean that the game will not realize that you have actually finished a certain hermit task even though you did, resulting in the Crabby Hermit failing to follow the expected behaviour, such as queueing in a specific dialogue, playing the confirmation sound effect, or raising a friendship point and therefore upgrading the bottle trading tab. No matter how long you wait, where you wait, or which additional tasks you did before or after the said task.

Let's start with the examples.

You caught 5 heavy, non-seasonal fish and handed them all to the Crabby Hermit during night or dusk?

She just takes them away and nothing else happens. You will have to catch 5 more heavy fish and hand them all over again during the day time.

You caught a heavy seasonal fish and gave it to the Crabby Hermit during night or dusk?

Same story, and in addition to that, you won't get an advert that you should have even though that's what happens when you hand over a heavy seasonal fish to the Crabby Hermit. You will have to catch another heavy seasonal fish and hand it over during day time.

You upgraded the Crabby Hermit's house to its last stage, finished 7 other unique tasks, but rushed a couple tasks (including a house upgrade) quickly after another without ever talking to the Crabby Hermit in between?

Then too bad, you might never get the pearl item and complete the lunar questline not only because the game wasn't able to realize that you actually upgraded the hermit house, but also because the house upgrades are mandatory for getting the pearl item but are also impossible to repeat unlike the almost all the other tasks.

I said "you might", because I must say that I'm not exactly sure on the exact cause for a house upgrade not to be "recognized", because as I said in a previous post, I've only had this issue once and don't know how to replicate it yet. However, I'm hoping to never find it out because 1) it's actually game breaking, 2) it holds an intricate, but again, gamebreaking griefing potential, and 3) in theory, it can be solved by fixing the overall behaviour of the Crabby Hermit.

I hope I was more clear in this post:D

Share this comment

7 hours ago, mr. brj said:

You upgraded the Crabby Hermit's house to its last stage, finished 7 other unique tasks, but rushed a couple tasks (including a house upgrade) quickly after another without ever talking to the Crabby Hermit in between?

Then too bad, you might never get the pearl item and complete the lunar questline not only because the game wasn't able to realize that you actually upgraded the hermit house, but also because the house upgrades are mandatory for getting the pearl item but are also impossible to repeat unlike the almost all the other tasks.

Have you tried reloading the world? The game might check those quests on load.

There is actually a way to fix this completely, that is to destroy the hermit and force the game to spawn another one. To do this, you'll need a structure used in void walking exploit , then place a bot next to it. Push the hermit onto the boat, then destroy the boat(e.g. fire staff)

I've noticed something weird too. If you clear all the underwater savages, then put one back in the ocean and pick it up again and again, the hermit will try to give you all the rewards at one go. Also she starts talking really fast .

Share this comment

1 hour ago, SleeplessRat said:

Have you tried reloading the world? The game might check those quests on load.

Yes, I have tried reloading the world and am also aware that some tasks do indeed get confirmed after you do stuff like reloading, waiting for the Crabby Hermit to go in and back out of the home again, or just standing near her for longer than usual. The issuse is that the tasks never got registered in the first place, so the game doesn't check for them later.

1 hour ago, SleeplessRat said:

There is actually a way to fix this completely, that is to destroy the hermit and force the game to spawn another one. To do this, you'll need a structure used in void walking exploit , then place a bot next to it. Push the hermit onto the boat, then destroy the boat(e.g. fire staff)

I actually decided to do look into the Crabby Hermit's code and asked some friends who were familiar with the code too. Funnily enough, this is not a complete fix, but I was also wrong about being able to lock the pearl item by bugging the Crabby Hermit out. I will make my own suggestions regarding this topic later, however, what killing the Crabby Hermit does is that all the tasks done and the friendship points gained are all reset, because those information are registered in the Crabby Hermit's entity.

This means that you can't gain anymore friendship points through the underwater salvageables task and the house upgrades if you have already completed them, but once you reach friendship level 10, and have a completely upgraded hermit house, you will get the pearl item. The reason that this is not a complete fix is because you will have to complete at least 13 tasks in total, and will obviously have to spend more than the double amount of time you would usually spend. Plus, although such exploits provide a bandaid solution to a single part of the issue, the overall funky behaviour of the Crabby Hermit still stays the same and you will have to waste your time doing stuff because of an error on the game's part, not your own. I, at least, wouldn't call this an enjoyable experience and would rather start a new world or take a break from the game.

2 hours ago, SleeplessRat said:

I've noticed something weird too. If you clear all the underwater savages, then put one back in the ocean and pick it up again and again, the hermit will try to give you all the rewards at one go. Also she starts talking really fast .

I don't know much about the former part, but the fast talking was always present when I completed multiple quests at once without talking to the Crabby Hermit and she didn't recognize one of them as completed. Incidentally, she didn't recognize a house upgrade as finished during one of those times, and more than often, she doesn't recognize the fishing quests.

Share this comment