DST: "Version Mismatch" issue says update required - auto-updates are enabled, tried restarting Steam & reinstalling game

FivePurpleRoBin
  • Closed

I had Don't Starve Together open and tried to join a friend's server/game, and after I entered the password for that game, I got an error message saying

"Version Mismatch" and "This server is on a newer version than you. Please download the latest update to connect."

I double-checked my settings on Steam and the game is set to auto-update. So I tried uninstalling the game from my laptop and reinstalling it (figuring any updates I might be missing would definitely be included if I did that).

When I tried joining my friend's game again, I got the same error message. I'm not sure why it's not working or if there really is an update I'm missing (and if so, how to get it).

DSTerror.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

1) Open Steam and bring up Friends List.

2) Open Don't Starve Together.

2) Right click on friend's username in Steam Friend List [while they are hosting a Don't Starve Together game with open spots].

3) Click 'Join Game.'

4) If game is password protected, (in this case it was) enter password in the box that pops up.

5) When game tries to connect to host server, error message pops up.

6) PLEASE NOTE: (regarding Log Files)

The 'client_log.txt' file in my '...\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether' folder has 'Date Modified' of about three months ago (6/27/2020) and the 'client_log.txt' file under '...\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta' has Date Modified as today (09/26/2020), so the latter file is the one I've attached.

(Also, no .MDMP file was produced as a result of this issue.)

7) ALSO NOTE: (regarding game mods)

Only 1 client mod (downloaded from Steam) was enabled, and mod had already been updated before trying to enter friend's game.

Attempts to fix:

1) Make sure Steam settings for game have 'auto-update' enabled, then close out of game and try exiting and restarting Steam. Reopen Don't Starve Together and bring up Steam Friend's List (Steam starts/updates automatically when my laptop starts up) and try again to get into friend's game.

2) Close out of game, uninstall game, then reinstall game. Reopen Don't Starve Together and bring up Steam Friend's List and try again to get into friend's game.

3) Close out of all programs and restart laptop. Reopen Don't Starve Together and bring up Steam Friend's List and try again to get into friend's game.

DSTerror.jpg

User Feedback