Dedicated Server Failed to start

Doktoberfest
  • Pending

As soon as i activate Caves on a Server i am unable to launch or create a server if its new

Older servers are unable to start.

I have tried disabling all mods and launching

check the cave file to check that "Is Master = false" was indeed the case

i deinstalled and reinstalled the game

deleted several servers...

I am running out of Ideas, any way to fix this or is my game now permanently effed?

r/dontstarve - Dedicated Server Failed To Start

Steps to Reproduce

- I have attempted to change a previous server mode from survival to endless by editing the Shardindex 

- after that i was unable to launch any other server regardless of clusters as soon as i activated the caves

User Feedback

Thank you for the logs.
Could you try to load the world again and then attach your \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt ?

• Like 1

Share this comment

15 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Thank you for the logs.
Could you try to load the world again and then attach your \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt ?

done. 

client_log.txt

Share this comment

Can you launch the game (the main menu is fine) and press Backspace and tell me the version number (Rev. #####) in the bottom right left corner?

After you get the rev number, could you:
- close DST
- delete your client_log.txt file
- try to launch a caves-enabled server 
- post the new client_log.txt file

• Like 1

Share this comment

13 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Can you launch the game (the main menu is fine) and press Backspace and tell me the version number (Rev. #####) in the bottom right left corner?

After you get the rev number, could you:
- close DST
- delete your client_log.txt file
- try to launch a caves-enabled server 
- post the new client_log.txt file

rev: 467172

After deleting the client_log.txt there is no new one being created

I cannot launch any kind of caves enabled server. Also now i am unable to access my one server that is forrest only i used to test

Share this comment

1 minute ago, ScottHansen said:

Could you please check if any anti-virus software is not block DST from writing files?

I tried messing with it previously to see if somehow avast was blocking it from creating files but it says that creating files is enabled. 

I tried setting the program back but that also did nothing. i checked my systems and all things work as they should. 

Share this comment

Could you try follow the steps listed here and let me know if one of them resolves the issue?

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171-Getting-a-Unable-to-write-to-config-directory-Error-Message

If none of those work, DST closed, could you please:
- backup your entire Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder (copy paste it somewhere else or zip it up, just in case...)
- rename the current Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_old
- launch DST
- try to create a new cave's enabled world

If that works, then go into DoNotStarveTogether_old and crab one of your cluster files a copy/paste it into the new folder and try running it.

• Like 1

Share this comment

28 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Could you try follow the steps listed here and let me know if one of them resolves the issue?

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171-Getting-a-Unable-to-write-to-config-directory-Error-Message

- backup your entire Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder (copy paste it somewhere else or zip it up, just in case...)
- rename the current Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_old
- launch DST

If that works, then go into DoNotStarveTogether_old and crab one of your cluster files a copy/paste it into the new folder and try running it.

I am still getting the same error

If i try creating a world without a cave however it does create it no problem , however every time i enable caves i get 

"Unable to launch dedicated server"

Also the game is still not creating another client_log.txt should i be concerned about that?

I am running both steam and DST on Admin and tried to reinstall it as well with the same result

28 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

- launch DST

Update: as a last ditch efford i tried the save directory 

It worked!

Thanks a ton!!

image.thumb.png.8846fe861dcc699b75c3eebd2a9d9687.pngEdit: Mods are also working flawlessly

image.thumb.png.a723552df5962717ef851034d8b9ce1f.png

Edited by Doktoberfest

Share this comment

I'm glad to hear it is working again, unfortunately the problem was not really resolved, just pushed off to another day.

You should be able to copy/paste your client_save folder from DoNotStarveTogether_old into the new folder and get all your settings, presets, skin layouts, etc, restored.

If you could try copy/pasting one of your caves-enabled Cluster folders from DoNotStarveTogether_old into the new folder and then try running that, I'd like to know if it will load the world or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

I'm glad to hear it is working again, unfortunately the problem was not really resolved, just pushed off to another day.

You should be able to copy/paste your client_save folder from DoNotStarveTogether_old into the new folder and get all your settings, presets, skin layouts, etc, restored.

If you could try copy/pasting one of your caves-enabled Cluster folders from DoNotStarveTogether_old into the new folder and then try running that, I'd like to know if it will load the world or not.

I imported cluster_7 from my old save files which has caves enabled and indeed it loaded!

The game did quit on me due to outdated mods 

BUT Client_log made a reappearance. 

client_log.txt

Share this comment