• Temperature sensors "stuck" and "reverting" to -460F in space or a vacuum

ISAWHIM
    • Pending
      Bug Type: General
      Game Version: U43-526946-V

This issue has lead to many annoying problems in my base. Many temp-sensors keep, randomly, reverting to -460F as the "current ambient temperature". This is in direct contrast to the "Properties", which shows the temperature at 100.8F, and the temp-shift plate temps also being 100.8F and/or Drywall also being 100.8F.

Curiously, how and why, is the "detected temperature" different than the sensors temperature? If the sensor is 100.8F, the "detected temperature" should be the same. It is a physical impossibility to have a sensor's temperature detecting anything OTHER than its own actual temperature. (Exception for, possibly, a non-contact IR sensor, which rarely actually reports correct temperatures on most surfaces.)

In any event, this -460F is obviously a default value, which is an ODD default value that favors no-one. A good default value would be around 75F, or NULL, which forces the sensor to "get a value".

Though this happens in "space" or a "vacuum", it is NOT limited to those situations. It is just easily repeatable in those situations. Reloading can sometimes reset the sensor to this "stuck" default value. (Less chance as more saves happen, so something within the saving process is resetting them when they are "young" {low age})

If I had to guess, on a reload, or at some point in game-play, the are turns to a vacuum again, and the sensor is reset for some reason. But, as I said, this also happens when NOT in a vacuum, which I have no possible explanation for, other than your database code hitting some limit or "loosing data", and resetting late-created sensors. (A sensor recently created, having a younger age than others that are running fine.)

I do have many temperature sensors, so that may also be a contributing factor. Less than 100, 45 to be exact.

One thing to note, this seems to happen more, or only, to sensors that have had setting set with "copy" and "paste", from one sensor to another. However, I can not 100% confirm that. I just recall the issue happening to only sensors that I have copied and pasted settings to. (Maybe it's pasting invalid database characters that can't be "set", or cause an unhandled error, making it reset as a safety.)

The sensors also will NOT report correct temps until I select (Above) then (Below) then (Above) again, so that, in these instances, something happens that alters the temperature. A vent pumping air, a pump passing water through the sensor, etc.

The last sensors that failed for me were 45 cycles old, 14 cycles and two that were less than 2 cycles. No game reloading was involved. These happened in a live-playing game.

Attached is the destruction from ONE failed sensor on my transformers, which caused them to overheat and the bunker doors failed to close fast-enough. In the same attached picture, all those temp-sensors have, at some point, failed and reset to -460F, and all of them were originally set by a "copy and paste" from another sensor.

Image1.jpg

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.