Thirst...for adventure!

THE CUPDATE
Nothing says adventure quite like an adventurer's hearty mug filled with a frothing glass of lord knows what on a deserted island where each day to survive is a grueling challenge! With this update comes some new buildables, a new beast, and many new recipes! Whether or not this sort of thing may be up your alley be aware this does not suggest a thirst meter, but rather an alternative means to both consuming food AND some potential utility purposes!

New buildables!
Mug (Requires science machine; 2 cut stone, 2 twigs): Allows you to hold a single liquid inside, does not break ever nor does it stack.
Kettle (Requires science machine; 12 rocks, 3 charcoal, 2 boards): Allows you to make recipes that only work with the mug.

New Recipes!!
Water (retrieved from ponds); A simple drink, restores 5 hunger, 5 sanity, and 5 health. It's pretty useless.
Milk (retrieved from Aligoater); A hearty drink, restores 40 hunger and 40 health. The best basic beverage.
Salt water (retrieved from ocean); A dangerous drink, restores -5 hunger, -30 sanity, and -1 health. Good for going mad.
Honeymilk Tea (Cook; 1 mug of milk, 1 petal, 2 honey); A calming brew, restores 10 health and 35 sanity.
Protein Shake (Cook; 1 mug of milk, and 3 of any meat (excluding monster meat)); A strong boost to strength, restores 35 hunger, 20 health, and temporarily boosts damage by 25.
Coffee (Cook; 1 mug of water, 1 nightmare fuel, 2 toasted seeds); A good brew for staying up at night, restores 10 hunger, -20 sanity, 15 health, and makes the night brighter for a time. This allows one to continue through the night without worrying about the grue.
Fruit Smoothie (Cook; 1 mug of milk, and 3 of any fruit); A fine treat, restores 10 health and 10 hunger.
Beastly Brew (Cook; 2 or more monster meat included in concoction); A bad addiction, restores 35 hunger, 3 sanity. It also will cause a craving in the player that can be slept off immediately, but if not they will start to lose sanity quickly as the time between each drink makes the character want it more.
Polymorph Potion (Cook; 1 mug of water, 2 nightmare fuel, 1 tentacle spots); Allows you to change character upon drinking. Destroys mug in process due to magical explosion.

New beast!
Aligoater; A large two hoofed beast with a goat like front half with an alligator like behind. A lack of hind legs makes the beast rather slow, and its jagged teeth make it a dangerous predator to the unwary. It can only be milked when it is asleep and can only be milked three times every ten days.

I apologize for lack of pictures, but this idea is something I am quite fond of and might add pictures to at some point in the future? All in all though, I am loving every aspect of Don't Starve and think this game is going down a good and solid path! This is just an idea that crossed my mind a while ago so I figured...why not mention it?
That said, feel free to add any feedback on the recipes, Aligoater, and the like!
Also any recipes you can think of???

Thread approved... ;)

New buildables!

Mug (Requires science machine; 2 cut stone, 2 twigs): Allows you to hold a single liquid inside, does not break ever nor does it stack.

Kettle (Requires science machine; 12 rocks, 3 charcoal, 2 boards): Allows you to make recipes that only work with the mug.

Ah, just like me. I once used to suggest all manner of kitchenware, until I learned that the Devs aren't interested in them. Or simply, plates and cup pop into existence whenever you "cook" a meal with the crock pot, so the same would be true for liquids. You just need to place the food items into the crock pot and after it's done "cooking" them it would give you the drink in the appropriate container (i.e. cup). Of course my opinion is based only on what I've seen, rather than what I know to be certain.

Water (retrieved from ponds); A simple drink, restores 5 hunger, 5 sanity, and 5 health. It's pretty useless.

Yes, except I would have it restore Sanity. I drink plenty of water and it doesn't help me at all in that regard...

Milk (retrieved from Aligoater); A hearty drink, restores 40 hunger and 40 health. The best basic beverage.

Ah, a new creature suggestion. I'll read up on it when I get there then. However I should mention that milk has been suggested before and to date the prime suggested milk source has been the beefalo (i.e. beefalo milk). The suggestion involved a bucket and use of the beefalo hat to "pretend" to be a baby beefalo... and steal some milk. The other ideas all involved capturing a baby beefalo, taming it, and then when it grew into an adult, be able to milk it.

Salt water (retrieved from ocean); A dangerous drink, restores -5 hunger, -30 sanity, and -1 health. Good for going mad.

Nah. Even monster meat fills you belly. I don't think we need to add in things players wouldn't even want.

Honeymilk Tea (Cook; 1 mug of milk, 1 petal, 2 honey); A calming brew, restores 10 health and 35 sanity.

I think it should be a bucket of milk, which when the player clicks on a slot in the crock pot it's just "milk" and the player keeps an empty bucket. If they click on the milk with the empty bucket they can take it back out. But other than that I agree with the rest of your recipe.

Protein Shake (Cook; 1 mug of milk, and 3 of any meat (excluding monster meat)); A strong boost to strength, restores 35 hunger, 20 health, and temporarily boosts damage by 25.

I agree with the hunger/health, but not the damage boost. But hey, that's just me.

Coffee (Cook; 1 mug of water, 1 nightmare fuel, 2 toasted seeds); A good brew for staying up at night, restores 10 hunger, -20 sanity, 15 health, and makes the night brighter for a time. This allows one to continue through the night without worrying about the grue.

Hmmm. I'm against anything that tampers with darkness, so I wouldn't be able to agree with that aspect. How about instead of that or the sanity loss, maybe it could give the player a huge sanity boost... which would be temporary and declines. It could act as a "quick fix". The end result could be that it eats away more sanity too, at the end, then it gave you as a trade-off.

Fruit Smoothie (Cook; 1 mug of milk, and 3 of any fruit); A fine treat, restores 10 health and 10 hunger.

As above about the milk, but the rest is fine.

Beastly Brew (Cook; 2 or more monster meat included in concoction); A bad addiction, restores 35 hunger, 3 sanity. It also will cause a craving in the player that can be slept off immediately, but if not they will start to lose sanity quickly as the time between each drink makes the character want it more.

Not sure how this addiction would be tracked...

Polymorph Potion (Cook; 1 mug of water, 2 nightmare fuel, 1 tentacle spots); Allows you to change character upon drinking. Destroys mug in process due to magical explosion.

Polyjuice? I'm not so much against the function as I am against the word "potion". I prefer words like "tonic" or "draught".

Aligoater; A large two hoofed beast with a goat like front half with an alligator like behind. A lack of hind legs makes the beast rather slow, and its jagged teeth make it a dangerous predator to the unwary. It can only be milked when it is asleep and can only be milked three times every ten days.

In which biome would it spawn? What creatures would it be hostile to (i.e. only the player)? Does it eat? What happens if you kill it?

Anyway, nice suggestions. And feel free to search the forums for other discussions on combing the Thirst meter with the Hunger meter. A few more water-based drinks would also be good to consider, if you have anymore suggetions in the future. ;)

Yes, except I would have it restore Sanity. I drink plenty of water and it doesn't help me at all in that regard...

Funnily enough, the reason I made water so useless was because I feel there is no need for a thirst meter! Way too much micromanaging and with such limited water supplies it is easier to assume any water you need is acquired form your food!

Ah, a new creature suggestion. I'll read up on it when I get there then. However I should mention that milk has been suggested before and to date the prime suggested milk source has been the beefalo (i.e. beefalo milk). The suggestion involved a bucket and use of the beefalo hat to "pretend" to be a baby beefalo... and steal some milk. The other ideas all involved capturing a baby beefalo, taming it, and then when it grew into an adult, be able to milk it.

Hmmm....seems like a pretty complex process just to pilfer some nutritious milk. I can't say I am against the notion of raising a Beefalo, but that seems like it might not e fully worthwhile. Though that might just be me and my luck with followers....r.i.p. chester

Nah. Even monster meat fills you belly. I don't think we need to add in things players wouldn't even want.

Well, you say that. Yet Wet Goop is a thing that exists. Anyway, I get what you mean. Adding items that don't really serve much purpose that other things serve the purpose of more efficiently is sort of pointless unless the better item is like a reward (such as the spike tentacle).

I think it should be a bucket of milk, which when the player clicks on a slot in the crock pot it's just "milk" and the player keeps an empty bucket. If they click on the milk with the empty bucket they can take it back out. But other than that I agree with the rest of your recipe.

Hmmm, maybe. I am just too fond of the name cupdate to not want it I suppose, even if a bucket stores more milk.

I agree with the hunger/health, but not the damage boost. But hey, that's just me.

It has to do with my desire to make these drinks more utility than needed, just providing bonuses and quick fixes for things as opposed to a large amount of benefit from excessive crafting.

Hmmm. I'm against anything that tampers with darkness, so I wouldn't be able to agree with that aspect. How about instead of that or the sanity loss, maybe it could give the player a huge sanity boost... which would be temporary and declines. It could act as a "quick fix". The end result could be that it eats away more sanity too, at the end, then it gave you as a trade-off.

Ooooh, I like that suggestion a lot!

Not sure how this addiction would be tracked...

It would be tracked something like how long something lasts when burning. When you drink the Beastly Brew it starts the timer until your character will 'need' it again. When this nears the character will mention a craving, and when the time is hit the character may mention a need for a 'fix' and start to lose sanity. That said...addiction might not be the most friendly thing to add.

Polyjuice? I'm not so much against the function as I am against the word "potion". I prefer words like "tonic" or "draught".

I'll change the name then, since that's a quick and easy fix!

In which biome would it spawn? What creatures would it be hostile to (i.e. only the player)? Does it eat? What happens if you kill it?

Now, the Aligoater confounds me sometimes. I know for sure I want it in either rocky terrain or the swamp, the only issue is both have rather hostile creatures so it makes the Aligoater fit in but also possibly killed. In the event I allow the Aligoater to be killed I would want it to drop either; Aligoater scales, or Aligoater tail. One being meat obviously, and the other being means to make better armor or weapons.That said, letting it die, I am unsure how to handle it respawning. So I have toyed with the idea of making it immobile and unkillable like the pigking. Though that makes it serve little purpose other than to be milked. So I suppose making it killable really is the way to go!