dont starve together, need help learning how to mod properly

so ive been looking all over the internet for pages on how to mod DST, so far the only guides ive found don't give me enough information. I need to know how to do specific things. like detect which character the player is when they pick an item and which script I need to edit if its not the "pickable" script. long story short I'm trying to make a character that can compete with Maxwell as the recource gatherer, and I don't just want to make a bunch of followers. if someone could point me to a proper guide on how to mod don't starve together properly. instead of just.. change values. I'm already very familiar with lua and have been coding with it for years. I just don't know the definitions for don't starve and/or the paths to get the information I need. example problem I'm having at the moment in the "pickable" script

i need to be able to figure out which character is doing the picking so i can make him get extra recources for picking things. I've narrowed it down to DontStarveTogether>data>databundles>scripts>pickable around line 400 or so. is there a way to find out which character it is? eg. Wilson, Wolfgang, "Modded character name". and if you cant. then is there a function to call that returns when someone picks something with what they picked? 

one last thing, on a completely sepearte note is there a way to make winonas duct tape work on tools/armor? reparing a set amount of durability, eg. 75 for tools and 150 for armor

regarding the pickable script, after some more playing around i figured out how to use the :AddTag() and :HasTag() to do exactly what i wanted. just add a custom tag to the character and change the pickable script.