An idea on strafejump practice

A few players and I have noticed that the strafejumping may be explained too little for people that are new to that kind of thing.  A top down view on the drawboard that shows inputs, or even a gif may help

Also making the floor lava with taking into account that there are varying jump distances, makes the trial excessively hard and that comes from a TF2 player with 688 hourts on record+ recently finishing quake 1 and + and picked up champions again (took me 10 minutes to notice that its moving inward to the turn and not outward and further 30 to complete ). I would suggest scrapping the lava floor for a lava wall behind you closing in, you still need to strafejump to stay alive, but it could also include cornering, and it keeps the guessing of jumpdistance away for the next lefel until the player is more femiliar with strafe movement. 
Instead of throwing everything at the player at once.

Yeah, I think that level was the one that cemented in my mind that I'm never going to bother mastering strafejumping - for a game where the main gameplay hook is 'make precise jumps', having to worry about whether I've wiggled left and right enough before jumping, is entirely unappealing.

Archived