Can you rotate images on the map?

I'd like to make a mod that shows you what direction arrow signs are pointing on the map, but I don't know how or if it's even possible.

The best I can come up with is to make 8 different arrow sign recipes for the 8 different directions so you'd have to craft the "up" sign in order to make it point up on the map, but this has a few issues. First, with the camera being able to rotate without any indication of what "up" is, you wouldn't b able to tell which sign you were making. Second, I really don't want 8 different arrow signs in the structures tab to accomplish the same task.

My preference would be that the map will always show you what direction any sign is pointing in.

Well, there is a definitive "North" and such, so maybe you could use that as your orientation? You'd have to find the code but I know the compass uses this to orient so that you can reorient with other players. So at the very least with the 8 signs idea you could have a "North" sign, "South sign, etc. I agree, kind of a hassle without a compass, but doable.

I'm wondering if you can find the coding for a compass and somehow use that with the sign, so that when you are placing the sign it uses the same widget on the screen and orients the screen for you. Only problem with this would be basically a "free" compass, but, come on, who really uses a compass anyway? Not like you're giving away anything all that powerful. What do you think?